Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken2 View Post
    Since someone made hundreds of them in the 1800s I know it can be done, but I think what he/she did was spin a .15" pin while holding a file to it at an angle. I say that because the originals use a steep taper to go from .15 down to .125 rather than a step. Then some kind of groove tool to handcut the threads. Ouch. Must be a more modern way..
    Or a duplication of an old technique with modern tools. Specifically a common thread-restoral file, 32 TPI, hand-held.

Carriage advancing at 32 TPI but used only as a 'rest'. Shoulder and angle-guide would be simple. Pressure as low as you need, make many passes. Get good at it, and he/they probably did do, no need for the carriage 'timing' your work.

Faster than it sounds, too, given the files are store-bought items. I have metrifucated ones as well.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nice post alwyn,
    Your technique sounds very familiar. Amazing results can be achieved if the stock is round, no taper and smooth. Long lengths are not an issue. Your last sentence is key.
    otrlt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even an angle plate C clamped or bolted to the carriege with another bar (arm) to ride tha back and above the part.. better if brass is a quick fix. figure the part wants to go up and away so the bump best so hold in those dorections. The sharpest bit with the smallest nose radius best. Yes be sure it will not bump anything under. I have nylon bump ride-on fingers for grinding.

Side cutting edge and back rake help greatly depening on material.. mild steel for sure perhaps HSS 5*s 7*b. perhps a .015 nose radus fine side honed to be very sharp with reduced to 10* clearance under.

Any bit tht wont shave your finger nail is not very good for long thin parts.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for this help because I am working on my project and building nut and bolt in my project by use of one point cutting tool.

Country
    INDIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sir,
    i am looking for 110 mm threading on 9.3 mm diameter and 180 mm long rod.if possible send me video of that process,material is either aluminum of graphite

6. Likes muckalee liked this post