What's new
What's new

HSM articles

ray french

Titanium
I know,only nerds and trolls read HSM magazine so I am qualified.Anyway there are two great articles in it this quarter.One by our Forrest Addy on three jaw chucks and another by Harry Bloom on lathe restoration.I learned and relearned a great deal by reading both.Even though I've been at this 30 some odd years I seem to be relearning a lot lately.Great articles, guys.Keep it up.

Thanks, Ray. HSM wanted me to write some articles focussing on the basics for neophytes and that's waht I been doing.

I haven't yet seen the lathe rebuild article. My HSM comp copy hasn't arrived yrt. I'm looking forward to it.

Trolls and nerds!!?

I resemble that remark!

Seriously though I would be hard pressed
to find any publication existing today that
comes close to the old popular mechanics
or mechanics illustrated. I do admit
that some of the projects are a bit goofy
but they do a pretty darn good job of getting
a nice cross-section of kinds, and also of
ability levels.

By the way the correct title of that magazine
is "Home Shop Machinist Bridgeport in the
Basement Drive your Wife Crazy Magazine."
At least that's what it's called in this house!

Jim

[ I know,only nerds and trolls read HSM magazine

Sooo what does that make the people that write for the magazine?
I read all the mags and I think that they are great, lots of useful info like Forrests articals.

Hey I will second that.

I was just reading Forrest's article at lunch today. Well done! I learned a few things. Looking forward to the 4 jaw article and the ones that follow.

Forrest, how many are they having you write? Many more I hope.

Mark

Hey Ray,
Maybe you have a little Alzheimers and you already knew all that stuff, now you learn it again not realizing you already knew it. I like all the articles and there isn't an article I read that I don't learn something.
Paul

How many more HSM articles? No end in sight that I can see. They're a patient bunch.

It took me several weeks each to write the three jaw and the four jaw articles. I'd write for a while and no more than think the job was done when new lore would bubble up from the depths like garlic from homemade sausage. The trick is when to quit writing. So far the deadline has seen to that.

I get both mags, and G.E.M. as well.

There have been issues where there is only about one worthwhile article in the mag. Forrest's would make it two.

Forrest's stuff is definitely top notch. I read every word, even when it seemed like I already knew that stuff. It never hurts to review and refresh.

Paul A.

Originally posted by ray french:
Even though I've been at this 30 some odd years I seem to be relearning a lot lately.Great articles, guys.Keep it up.
Ray, this isn't all bad. I really enjoy watching all the reruns on the History and Discovery channel. Even though I just watched the show last nite it seems I've never seen it before.
Michael

plbenoit,you been talking to my doc? ;) As a matter of fact just a few weeks back the doc. told me I had what they in the medical proffession calls pre-Alzheimers.I also know Harry Bloom through emails and his name came up in an email conversation with another member.For the life of me I couldn't make the connection until,John Oder refreshed my memory.At the present time I'm only taking a week to find some of the tools I've been carrying around in my pockets.I suppose when I walk out to my shop and don't remember that that stuff belongs to me,it's time to sit in front of the TV and watch soap operas.After all it's easier to watch one than live it,especially when you can't remember your lines. :confused: :rolleyes:

My wife hid the latest issue from me. I found it last night while looking for some string. There are some issues of HSM that have very little that interests me. All those "Rudyesque" close ups of the cutter sitting next to a part with no chips get to me. I asked Rudy about it at a steam meet a few years ago and he told me that the shop is immaculate....But the house is a bit rough on the outside. Don't get me wrong, Rudy's a great guy.

But, Forrest's stuff is really good. I've learned quite a bit from him here, also.

Live Steam seems to have picked up its quality some, too.

Andy Pullen

Live Steam has said that they're no longer going to carry the huge multi-issue build articles. While I don't wait with breathless anticipation for each issue I still think that they're worthwhile. Perhaps they'll run some 4 and 6 issue articles.

I always get something out of an HSM article, even the ones that the letters to the editor bitch and moan about. I recall all the pissin' and moanin' about the edge trimmer, man, what a bunch of whiners! If you don't like *what* they're making just watch the construction methods and learn something. You don't have to make one of the dang things, and if you want to turn it on it's side and make a gasoline engine powered Margarita mixer, well take a stab at it.

Ray,

Maybe all who come on these three sites are girly men and trolls as well.

Maybe golf and bowling are more manly pastimes.

Ask me if I care.

kap

I enjoy/learn from the magazine, not every issue tickles my fancy, but it is impossible for every issue to be a 100 percenter.
Keep up the good work Forrest!

I deeply reqret that there are so many people out there who are willing to take the time to critisize someone else that has taken the time to submit an article in HSM. I get several magazines and HSM is the first one I got once I started on the path to this career. I do not learn from every issue but they all have value.

It is unfortunate that there are so many narrow minded people who will find the time to critisize the magazines or the articles but they are not willing to submit an article of their own to be judged by others.

Keep it up Forrest, I look forward to each issue.

Charles

I cannot find anyone on this forum who had
critisized a bit of HSM magazine - all the
comments so far have been glowing.

I regret to say that I have to keep the tone
of the discussion at that same level though.

I received my copy of HSMDYWCBIB magazine
this weekend and must say that the article
on chucks was the most comprehensive discussion
I've ever seen anywhere in print. I especially
felt for the poor man who crashed his brand
new 6-jaw! It should be required reading for
anyone who is purchasing any kind of lathe, new
or used.

The only possible addition one could make would
be the caveat that nearly every single scroll
chuck that is included in any used lathe purchase
is probably either a piece of junk that should