What's new
What's new

Kerrey Engine Lathe

dogwood8488

Plastic
I am looking at a used "Kerrey" engine lathe. I have never heard of that name brand and have not had any success finding out the manufacturer, and if spare parts are available. the lathe is not that old. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I've got a Kerry 1124 lathe and it's a good piece of kit.
I bought a manual from Tony Griffiths at www.lathes.co.uk and that has given me all the lubrication and adjustment info I needed. His site gives the history aswell. My is 3 phase running off a VFD.
Spares parts are rare, even in the UK, but at least the chucks are L00 so those are easy to get.
Which model are you looking at?

Charles

I have found out that the "Kerrey" lathe is made in Korea by a company called "Gwangju Nam Seon Lathe Works Company" which I think has changed names or sold out to someone else in Korea . The Acra line of lathes being sold now seem to be the same design as the Kerrey i am looking at which is I think about 15 years old. Thankyou all for your input and I welcome anymore information you may have. thanks

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread so far. I'm considering a Kerrey 1124 lathe. It's in good condition but before I "pull the trigger" I'm trying to confirm the age of the machine and whether it was a UK-built unit or whether its younger and made in Korea. Does anyone know when production was moved from the UK to Asia? Any information that can be shared re: specific issues or things to check would be very much appreciated.

The Korean Kerrey lathe has no relationship to the UK built Kerry.

The UK firm was subsumed into the same group as Harrison et al and eventually died as an independent design. For a while it was a brand name on some Harrison models.

The 1124 is a good solid machine. Like all designs it has its quirks but being the last of its line everything was sorted. I had dealings with returning an earlier one to service and would have been happy to have one for mine.

I'm not enamoured of the single sided "half-nut" used for screw cutting but the idea works fine and has been used by many makes. Early ones had some clutch operation issues due to an over complex lever and rod mechanism being inordinately sensitive to adjustment but thats about the only machine specific issue you need to be aware of. The cross-longitudinal feed selector system is effective and simple. Copied wholesale by the Far Eastern companies.

As ever its "condition, condition, condition" that's important but a good one will do just fine for all reasonable work.

Clive

Back