What's new
What's new

Logan lathe info

Thanks gary;
I've been on the yahoo group and have found most of the info I was looking for there, on the Logan actuator site and by searching this site.
Just like to get some personnel in site.

I have an 820 and am fairly taken with it, I also have all of the original manuals. What are you looking for? -Mike

Logan820LF2.jpg

The nice folks at Logan will happily sell you a manual..... should cost around $20, and worth it.

The 820 is a nice machine. And the Logan folks have parts.

There is an 820 Logan on e-bay within 110 miles from.
It looks to be in pretty good condition. I went on the Logan site and found most of the info I was looking for.
Holescreek do you like your Logan better than the 9" South Bned you sold recently?

Jeff

Yep. I sold the South Bend for 3 reasons: I already had the Logan up and running and they had the same limitation -the 3/4" through spindle capacity, but the Logan had a QC gearbox. The SB9 was taking up valuable benchtop space where the 820 was free standing. And, the kicker - I was about to inherit what I believed to be another SB9 which was originally my grandfathers' lathe.

The SB was in great shape mechanically but really dirty and rusty when I got it. The Logan had some mechanical issues with worn bushings and shafts in the apron feed gear and motor jackshaft. These were easliy replaced with stock bushings and shaft material <$15 from McMaster. Parts for Logans are comparatively cheap on Ebay while SB parts prices are soaring. Look at thread dials to see what I mean. On top of that, Logan has real spindle bearings and everything! ;)

I did get the other lathe from my uncle, luckily he gave it to me rather than willed it. Unfortunately(?) It turned out to be an Atlas. But it does have every accessory, plus a few never seen before, probably by anyone. Trying not to sound disappointed I asked my uncle what happened to the SB Dzadza (grandfather)used to talk about. He said that it was sold to a factory during WW2 for the war effort and the Atlas was all granpa could afford after the war.

You will not be dissapointed with a Logan providing the through spindle capacity is not an issue. I am keeping my eye out for another somewhat larger lathe for just that reason. I am amazed at how much stuff I want to turn is around 1.5" around! -Mike

Mostly satisfied with my 820. Biggest drawback is the +/- .750" thru spindle hole, but depends on what you want to do with it. On the plus side, it's 700 or so lbs makes it a very solid 10" lathe, tooling and accessories are out there at a reasonable price.

Rex, Yes I will post photos but not sure just when. I had planned on setting the lathe up this winter but that may be superceded by the CNC project I'm getting ready to start on.

I was planning on cleaning up one of the oddities and posting photos just to see if anyone knew what they were for, but no time to clean anything. Maybe I'll shoot a before pic. Granpa never owned a mill and I wondered how he did some of the things I've seen. Now that I have his machine I found that he even had a small rotary table which mounted in place of a vice on a milling attachement! More to come. -Mike

You will not be dissapointed with a Logan providing the through spindle capacity is not an issue.
And if you need more, move up from a 10" to an 11", which comes with a 1 3/8 thru hole, takes a 5C collet, may have hardened bed, may have a modern (non-threaded) spindle, and will almost certainly have the QC and "automatic" apron with full feeds via the feather key.

[ 10-20-2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: J Tiers ]

i would not go with anything that is belt driven, look for v-belts instead, no power transfer here, and you need lotsa hp that actually transfer to the spindle

you can get much more useful machines on ebay for little money, i would call this one outdated (i own one, but i bought it 30 years ago where there was little choice for the price)

depends on why you want it

Mostly just to use for home shop projects.
I have access to a LeBlond Dual drive at work if I need to turn somthing larger.
Seems most of the regular posting members with Logan lathes like them.
Not to many decent home shop size lathes turn up close enough for me to make the trip to pick them up. That someone doesn't go crazy about the bidding process.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Mike,
I just joined the group ad saw your post about owning a Logan 820.
I consider myself luck as I just bought one.
Do you have copies of the manual and maintenance instructions in Pfd ?
Would you be willing to share them?

Steve

Back