What's new
What's new

Looking for a pulley cover

tools

Hot Rolled
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a pulley cover for an old Cinci 0-8 Vert Mill. Little bulldog looking fixed knee mill on a steel stand.

I figure someone here might notice one while musing through a local machine graveyard. It's probably a long shot for sure, but it's worth asking I guess. I do have decent pictures so I can fabricate one.

Thanks!

Tools

Hey John,

I can't find that original post you made in response. Seems to me you said the theoretical distance between centers was 3.07, but not sure (from memory) if you meant for the original 14dp or the 12dp alternative. I did go measure and seem to remember that I measured about 3.15 between centers, so if that 3.07 was for the 12dp gears, I think we've got a winner!

To answer the question, just havn't done that yet. I did mount a single phase motor and got the mill running, and is what I used for fixing my table saw rail I posted about. Really cool to have something up and running!

However, I realized the machine's internal lube pump works off the power feed drive mechanism...which has a weird frame number little 1/4hp motor, 3ph of course. Don't need the pick off gears to make it work fortunately. Soooo, as all projects beget more projects, I dug out the original 3ph motor and fired it up with a VFD. Works great!! And, it'll power the little 1/4hp 3 phase motor for the power feed and coolant pump. BUT, that motor wouldn't turn over by hand (wups...don't know how I missed that!!), so apart it came. Just all gunked up and needed new bearings, no biggie. Well, it went back together tonight, so replace the motor again, rewire it and get the coolant working, THEN, it's back to the pick off gears!

I also figured out that I could internally spline the pick off gears with a keyway broach. So, if the 12dp gears will work, I'll buy 4 gears and get going. I figure I can try to make the balance of the gears once I get everything else working so I have more options.

I love this stuff!!

Oh, oh, oh, I bought another tablesaw...it weighs about 6lbs and the top is about 5"x10", runs a 4" blade, it's REALLY cool. Craftsman mid 40's to mid 50's vintage I think.

Later,

Tools

Hi Mike Danford LCDR USNR. If we ever meet I'll shoot you a snappy salute from this old E5 ATR2.

Here is the post you couldn't find:

"Tools:
Sounds like these are pick off gears that only engage with each other. I say this because all the combinations add up to 87 teeth. From this, I expect the shaft centers are fixed. Maybe it would be possible to select a diff. DP and tooth count that would satisfy shaft centers. They (such as Browning Gear) do make 16 DP and 12 DP change gears in any number of teeth up to probably 100. For instance, two 37 tooth 12 DP gears would be loose enough to be noisy but quite close. This assumes shaft centers are fairly near the theoretical 3.107" required for the gears you have listed. I.E, you would be moving from a 14DP 87 tooth pair to a 12DP 74 tooth pair.

John"

Back