What's new
What's new

Low Tech Vibration Analysis Tool

Winfield

Hot Rolled
The stobe is a low tech tool for chasing vibration related problems in machine tools to dynamic balancing and is a cost effective alternative to high tech dynamic analyzers. I have used my GR Strobotac to freeze spindle and motor shafts when tracking down vibration problems on a lathe or mill. Before computerized wheel balancing, the best (probably still the best) way to balance a car or truck tire was to dynamically balance the tire mounted on the vehicle running at speed using a strobe. The strobotac is also a non-contact way of measuring shaft and spindle RPM. There are many other uses for the strobe, perhaps capturing images of the explosive forming process.

Don Clement
Running Springs, California

I remember using the dynamic tire balancer on cars in late 60's. You had to jack the car up and have the power unit stuck under the tire. Not a very safe process. You put your forehead against the fender to fine tune the balance. That put the spinning balancer inches from your face.

As I recall, it had two or three knobs that spun and you moved the weight and location indicator by holding the knobs. Geez, I wonder how I survived looking back at it now. Did one heck of a balance job though.

Tell me more about a handheld strobe light. I have wanted something to see the cup fill on elevators that I build and use. The cups go by at about 10 per second. You can kind of see the percent of fill they have but it always dark and dusty, hard to see. A light like an automotive timing light would be the thing. I have not ever known where to find such a thing.

CCWKEN...I also worked with the on the car wheel balancers.Work like magic,but keep out of line of the tire tread as stones and debris fly off like crazy.Recently went to local tire store for some new tires and the 19 year old kid balanced my wheels on the new fangled tire balancers that are crap. On the ride home, wheels jumping like crazy....turn around back to store and the manager says the wheel balancer only balances up to 45 MPH?? I look at him likes he's nuts...I said what if I drive at 65MPH. He tells me that most tires bounce and shimmy at that speed. Bull!
When I balanced tires on cars years ago...those on car balancers easily would take a tire up to 100MPH. I could place a glass of water on the hood and not see a ripple at that speed. Now thats balanced!! He refunded my money for the balancing and I went to my local repair shop that had the old tire balancers and he balanced them beautifully...no shakes or pre-mature tire wear. I agree with the rest of the posts that strobe balancer is the way to go with vibration analysis...do a Google search and you'll find many companies that sell the needed equipment. Happy Holidays to All. Mark

Back