What's new
What's new

Machine Manual Services?

double

Aluminum
Kinda Off Topic! Has anyone here ever dealt with this company? They are in Grove Spring Mo. He reconditions Bridgeports and re-sells them plus Kirt vises and various parts for Bridgeports. The owner "Brad" seems like a nice enough guy. After being disapointed on half a dozen E-Bay auctions Ive decided to buy a Bridgeport from him that he has reworked. Its a little pricey at 4K delivered but if its as good as he says it is it should last for years. Just hoping maybe someone here has dealt with him. Thanks in advance...Jack

"Reworked" means....???

- Something to do with the orthogonal accuracy of the machine

- Or, something to do with the milling head

I would take the time to drive up there and test the machine under power first. Cut some metal with it (bring your own steel and cutters and collets). Run every single speed, feed, and feature of the milling machine (if it has a handle or handwheel or lever, make that feature work). Consider this as the downpayment on your insurance policy.

Other than that, I'd check out the serial number on the knee for model year of original manufacture...I would think that price would get you into the early 1980s (assuming basic mill alone, no DRO or power feed or vise). I would want a one-shot lube at that price too.

-Matt

Meridian hit it on the head. Do not be dazzled by some decorative flaking applied to an otherwise worn machine,that has been cleaned up or worse yet repainted.The Sherwin/williams rebuild is the worst.Personally I want original paint and dirt as that tells more about past maintance and care. Then you can take that machine to a rebuilder and pay for the leval of service that you want. Done that several times and am very happy with the results. Just my 2cents worth.
Lee

He has an interesting policy on what are presumably copies on CD of the manuals that he sells:

"We at Machine Manual Services Cordially ask that you help us protect our technologies against software pirates who seek to illegally profit from our hard work by misleading patrons like you."

and

"Illegal distribution of software can subject a seller to arrest and felony charges with fines. The infringing party hereby agrees that it shall automatically be liable to Machine Manual Services in the amount of $100,000 (U.S. Dollars) per incident, and that the infringing party shall pay Machine Manual Services $25,000 per day for each additional day that the copyright infringement continues after having received notice of such infringement from Machine Manual Services."

Interesting (to me anyway) in that some of his manuals are still sold by the original maufacturers, but it seems that he's only concerned with damage to himself. The EULA that he should be available from his Ebay store is full of dire warnings and restrictions.

Personally, I'd be especially vigilant before buying any thing from him. Just MHO.

Mike

Back