What's new
What's new

Machining Torlon

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hey all, I am having a few parts made out Torlon 4301 (PAI), the bearing grade. Any special procedures or things to watch out for? Our machinist has never heard of it, so I wanted to let him know if theres anything special about it. I figured since its a thermoset and fairly rigid, it would cut nicely.

Thanks all!
Nick

Yes I have made bushings from it.It cuts nice ,sharp tool lots of relief .

Sloeit,
Torlon 4301 is not cheap stuff, we have been buying 6x6x1" sheets for about $750.00 at work. I have used up almost 3 of these since the first of the year.
The Torlon machines real nice. Holds a better tolerance than most "plastics". Should be able to hold .0005" with out to much trouble. Better use carbide on it. Keep it SHARP! if the cutter get dull it starts leaving a rough surface similar to CRS. If I remember correctly you will want to turn this at about 700 -- 800 RPM. Also have a spec. sheet on it at work for turning, milling, drilling etc. Can send this to you if you want.
It will heat up an HSS drill pretty quick, been useing TapMagic on it for this seems to help. Don't leave drill in to long keep the pecks short maybe .05 to .075.
Its kinda fun to machine once you have played with it for a while. The worst problem I had with it was putting a 1/4" pipe thread on with a die. Kept wanting to tear. Used a split die and opened it up just a pinch, the TapMagic helps also.
Drilling a .016" dia. hole in it is a lot of fun too! :eek:
If you have any more questions just yell.

Good luck
Michael

Thanks for the info. 2L, that spec sheet would be great!

WWere basically making SMALL parts, about 1/4 inch diameter, wtih a few features, and parted off. Should be TOO bad, I hope, well see how it goes!

Nick

Torlon is, I believe, graphite loaded
polyimid. It's a bit abrasive but cuts
easily.

If you want expensive, you could order
DuPont's Vespel instead.

Jim

An old thread I know, but I'm quoting some parts made from Torlon 4203. Specs on print say to soak in water 24 hours before final machining and inspection. Can't imagine why, to stabilize it?

An old thread I know, but I'm quoting some parts made from Torlon 4203. Specs on print say to soak in water 24 hours before final machining and inspection. Can't imagine why, to stabilize it?
I'll speculate here. We use Torlon and Nylatron "plugs" to pressure test parts with. These materials won't scratch our bores. Nylatron is the first choice due to cost but in cases where we blow Nylatron up we have to resort to Torlon.

Anyway, these materials like to grow after being submerged in our calibration fluid. For the Nylatron a .750 or 1.000 dia. may grow .003-.004. That's a pain when you start out .001-.003 undersize of a .002 tol. bore. These plugs seam to grow for a while (like the first few months of use), I'm expecting until the material can't absorb any more fluid. So my guess is that by soaking these in water for 24 hours might help minimize this growth?

PAI stands for POLYAMIDE-IMIDE. The amide part is also known as nylon which, depending on the resin, has a high affinity for water. By soaking the material in water, you will stabilize the absorption and the properties. Data sheet lists Water Absorption, 24 hrs (%) 0.4.

Secondly, Torlon is a thermoplatic not thermoset as per the original statement.

See also,

Boedeker Plastics : Torlon PAI PolyAmide-Imide Datasheet

Tom

Interesting replies. I've known that some plastics had an affinity for water but I didn't know that growth could be up to .003 or .004 on a diameter. That could be troublesome.

Interesting replies. I've known that some plastics had an affinity for water but I didn't know that growth could be up to .003 or .004 on a diameter. That could be troublesome.

Yes, it can be. Virtually all plastics are hygroscopic to some degree. The use of coolant alone will change the dimensions a few hours after the part is finished. I made a self lubricating rudder shaft bearing awhile back out of special plastic material designed for just that purpose and the directions for use was to allow .005" per inch of bore clearance over shaft diameter.

I've always machined plastics dry, even Torlon back in the early 80's. Never had an application that had to accept the presence of thin fluids, or at least the blueprint didn't state so. I'll be keeping that in mind from now on though, thanks to all for adding to my personal knowledge on this.

Does that mean it changes with the relative humidity/temperature also? An application on a production line that uses water can experience change from overnight/week end of drying out? Rate of change? Maybe I need to do some reading here.

Last edited:
I tried to make a small part out of Torlon last week (7130 I think) and didn't realize how abrasive it was. The brochure says HSS shouldn't be used at all, carbide is OK, but they really recommend diamond tooling. I have to agree. I was unable to drill a small hole with an HSS drill- it quickly rounded over and broke off- it was a deep #60 hole. Parting off quickly radiused an HSS cutoff tool. It even wears carbide at a rapid rate. Avoid the stuff if something else will work as well.

I tried to make a small part out of Torlon last week (7130 I think) and didn't realize how abrasive it was. The brochure says HSS shouldn't be used at all, carbide is OK, but they really recommend diamond tooling. I have to agree. I was unable to drill a small hole with an HSS drill- it quickly rounded over and broke off- it was a deep #60 hole. Parting off quickly radiused an HSS cutoff tool. It even wears carbide at a rapid rate. Avoid the stuff if something else will work as well.

-That's what I remember from machining it.

Torlon 7130 is in particular troublesome, with the carbon-fiber filling. On the other hand, it is a fantastically stiff plastic for uses where one needs that. Carbide works "OK" as noted (as I found), but diamond is no doubt better by a long shot. The bearing grade material is a similar issue, just on a different scale, based on the different type of carbon filling.

Many plastics do absorb water; nylon is a classic example of a resin that machines and performs most optimally when it has something like 7-10% of its mass consisting of water. And for those applications where fits are critical, relative humidity can have a big (read: problematic) effect. I made some hard disk test mount hubs for inspection equipment some years back from Torlon; they fit very nicely to +0/- .0005" tolerance when tested here in AZ., home of dry heat, but when shipped on equipment to Pacific Rim mfg facilities, the disks no longer fit due to size change from humidity absorption. Lesson learned.

Back