Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A machinist can make a part from a drawing. A toolmaker can make that same part but also make it closer, faster, and work. They can also make or invent the special tooling and work holding that might be required to make that part or make it faster.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I served a toolmaker apprenticeship. One of my friends served a tool and diemaker apprenticship for stamping dies. He later worked as a toolmaker and now runs his own shop.

One time years ago I asked him what he thought the main difference was between the two trades was. He told me that toolmaking was way tougher to master than tool and die. He said that with a die you could make a mistake and often just make up for it on the next station of the progressive die. With toolmaking you have to get it right the first time or start over.

Some time later I stopped to visit another friend that was a tool and diemaker and was trying to start a shop in his garage. He told me that he had tried making a part like a dozen times and kept screwing up a on one dimension or another. I guess the first guy was right.
    Neither of those people you mentioned should have claimed to be a Tool & Die Maker. Because, evidently, neither of them were.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typically machinist' are narcisistic......to be a toolmaker one must also become an ass and lose the ability to smell ones own stench.

4. Likes DaveKamp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machinist make machines. Tool Makers make tools. Millwrights right mills. Fairly simple. I believe there are 5 levels in Europe of the machine trades. Toolmaker being in the middle. Finebaugh being the top. I think that is watches and possible measuring instruments. Also, when you have a $1 mil machine rocking while it moves, You wish you had a millwright.