What's new
What's new

manual for Milwaukee die filer?

Nope, but please let me know if you do find one. I do have a Milwaukee die filer brochure and can email that to you if you are interested.

I've got a Model FS Type VSS, FWIW, and haven't seen too many of those FS or auctioned. What version do you have?

Mike

I have a Milwaukee FS and also wouldn't mind having a manual.
Could I get a copy of the brochure Mike?

Diefile.jpg

I bou8ght a air powered die filer from harbour freight. It came with a few files any ideas on where to buy some good ones?
BillD. These have a round shank I think 6mm about 18" or so.

Mike, thanks for your kind offer for a brochure. Yes I would love a copy. My filer has a name plate on the front (round cover shown on Joels machine)that says, Rice FS 204 Millwaukee Die Filer. It appears to be just like Joels. A brochure I have from Oliver of Adrian, shows an almost identical machine except it has a round table. I was able to but files from Federal by talking to the sales guy on the phone. At first they wanted to sell me files by the dozen but eventualy agreed to send me "one of each".

Any interest in going in on the manual on eBay? If so let me know and how you would like to arrange it. I planned to bid anyway but lately I haven't had much luck, maybe I'm too cheap? I also don't use a sniper program or service.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Hugh Sanborn

Joel, thanks for posting the picture of your very good looking filer. The one I have is missing the "chuck" that hold the file or blade at the top. Knowing what it is supposed to look like will make it easier to mill one out. Any interest in trying to pool our resources to by the manual on ebay?

Hugh Sanborn

Mine (that I sold and replaced with an Oliver) must have been older.

The overarm was basically a "saw arm" per the patent

MDF3sa.jpg

The roller rest seems to be the same.

MDF2oa.jpg

Whole thing
Mdf1.jpg

This one came with a "resistor start" motor, similar to "split phase" without capacitor.

The lower chuck is interesting..... Is yours a two-jaw with opposing threaded screw like mine was?

J Tiers - I'm the guy that bought that die filer from you. Use it all the time and it works great.

I would like a manual as well and would be glad to pay for copies and shipping if anyone comes up with one.

Yup, mine has the two socket head screws to clamp the file or blade on the bottom. Very simple and strong. It also has a small steel box that collects filings under the table. It rides on the shaft right under the chuck and goes up and down with the file. It works pretty well at catching stuff and keeps it out of the bearing but is a pain to empty. The best way is a small diameter tube on a shop vac. If I get lucky tomorow on ebay, I'll get the manual copied or maybe have it scanned so it will be available to board members. Does the roller support for the file on the overarm have a ball bearing, or is it a bushing?

hms50

The support roller on mine has no bearing.

The block with the Allen screw has a round pin in the back. The pin is just a slip fit - no retention screw or anything. You can move it outward to the other hole (to the left of the block) for more clamping depth. You could easily come up with a better arrangement than this.

Holder.jpg

AlleyCat..... Cool. I didn't hear anything so I figured it was OK. I sure didn't need 2 of them. Been using my Oliver also.... some things it just does better than other machines.

HMS50: as AlleyCat will confirm, the roller is just a hardened bushing on a pin. It's pretty hard, the files never marked it at all.

J.... That slight "clunk" is still audible when using the die filer. I picked up another one for parts so maybe some day I'll fix it.

Kind of reminds me of an old '67 chevy I bought years ago. It had a slight knock when I bought it and it had the same knock when I sold it several years later but it ran great. I'll keep running the die filer the same way. So far it's been a great help in the shop on many different projects.

If any of you guy's ever have the chance to meet J Tiers don't pass up the opportunity. He's a real interesting guy to talk with and get to know. He's probably forgotten more stuff than I'll ever hope to learn!

J, when I met with you to buy that machine I hope I didn't cause you any trouble. We shot the bull out on the parking lot for quite awhile. Sorry about that. I get kind of long winded when talking shop. Find something else I need to buy from you so we can do it again. lol Thanks again for everything!

Tom

He's probably forgotten more stuff than I'll ever hope to learn!
Thanks
Trouble is, very little of it relates to machining parts!

And I can't remember it anyway....... :D

No problem about yakkin. Yakkin is good. They were probably happy to get me out of their hair for a while anyhow.....

Well guys, sorry to let you down but I missed the #$@^!!*& auction!! We gad a crisis at work around the time it went off and I never got a bis in. GRRRR!

hms50

Well guys, sorry to let you down but I missed the #$@^!!*& auction!!
I'd thought of bidding too, but was concerned about stepping on toes here. In future, I think I'll just bid and risk the ire of other interested members.

Mike

Back