What's new
What's new

Milling On A Drill Press

Hey!

Aluminum
Is milling on a drill press possible? Using a cross slide vise, I could rig up a few dial indicators for accuracy as there are no micrometer dials. Could this work?

Thanks,
Rick

Hey! yes this is possible, but the drill press needs to be "heavy duty".a friend of mine has one and says it works nicely for what little he does w/it. Coldiron

Typical drill presses do not have a rigid enough spindle and quill to mill anything but the lightest of cuts. Also, if there is much vibration or chatter, the chuck may drop out of the quill (assuming it is a Morse taper in the spindle).

Milling with a drill press is flirting with disaster.
It's too light and could ruin your part or, worse yet, ruin your fingers.
If you buy a large (read rigid) enough drill press to do light cuts, you can afford a Mill/Drill. But I don't recommend those either. But they are better then a drill press when it comes to milling.
If you can afford the Mill/Drill, then a used Bridgeport style mill is within your reach. Keep an eye out for a used Sharp, or Lagun, or any of the other "regular" mills out there.

O.K. I will use a milling machine. And I will save up and get a good one, too.

Thanks

Hey!,
Yes you can if absolutly necessary. The main problem besids the fore mentioned, is the drill chuck. Most drill chuck's are designed for vertical force. When you apply horizontal force the chuck shank will bend. If you look at your chuck it has a step-down shank just before the chuck. I do believe that they design it that way as a breaking point should anything go arye when drilling.
Jeff.

Rick

If you have the stuff, why not give it a try. It's not like you're flying a kite in a thunder storm.

If you need to buy the slide, you're going down a dead end street.

Just take it easy, The spindle and bearings aren't as rigid or tight as on a mill, and the chuck is probably on a short taper that can come loose. A small endmill held up close with quill up and locked would minimize the danger.

Could move a mill purchase to the top of the want list.

bc

Back