What's new
What's new

Moore G18 jig grinder prices ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
A pristine 1980's Moore jig grinder used to bring around $30,000 as late as 2001, but prices have dropped since then, so just wondering if anyone here has a feel for what one would sell for today ? I notice dealers have them for $16,000 to $20,000 but doubt they are actually selling them for that. Thoughts ?

I'd guess $10,000 for a good one with some tooling. Of course, price could be higher/lower depending on the selling situation, and condition. (Must sell, or wait for the right buyer, like new, or mail box holder, etc.)

Eric

Sorry D. I don't know why I thought your name was Dave. I checked the auction site and the details had been deleted. It was a Moore, in good shape. I didn't pay much attention to it, but I knew they were spendy. I was surprised when it went for under ten grand.

I've seen them at HGR in Cleveland marked down from $8000 to $3000-5000. Of course the overall condition of the grinders is unknown since HGR sell surplus.

Scott, still not entirely relevant without knowing exactly what "them" is. A Moore no. 2 jig grinder looks like a "Moore jig grinder" to the casual observer...but is worth way less than a G18 model, for example. Also much of the inherient value in a jig grinder is it's super accuracy. If that is called into question at all, (which it would be at HGR cuz you can't even run it..plus what the heck are they doing with it in the first place sorta worries), the value plummets dramatically. This is why for instance, Reliable got only $15,000 for a CNC Moore G18, and I got twice that much for the exact same machine...I could prove mine was "right" but they couldn't.

So, while I appreciate the response so far, I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can confirm a sale price or two on a 1980's G18 machine.

I've heard of a jig borer, but what's a jig grinder???
The Moore version of a jig grinder uses the same base column and table as the jig borer, but the head is very specialized for holding a high RPM pneumatically driven grinding motor. More to it than just simple rotation however...it will ossocilate and do other tricks as well. In contrast to jig borers, which are obsoleted by CNC machining centers, jig grinders still have useful roles in making the final "cut" on precision dies and certain fixtures.

And if you're wondering why you can't just put one of these high speed heads on a standard machine, CNC or manual...well, you can, but it's still not as precise as a Moore and the Moore has special design considerations to prevent the fine grinding dust from destroying the machine ways.

I've seen them at HGR
I've seen them before when I have been there. I was, of course, all over them. For the most part,its the standard experience, they are much worse in person than in the pictures, except prehaps for some of the higher priced ones.

That they have been marked down is a warning sign.

Eric

I have a Precise jig grinder with a R-8 setup.
It allows rpm of 100-150 on mill and revs to
45000 rpm. I would like to trade it for a 3-phase
converter able to handle 420v output at 5amps.
The unit is in great shape and used little.
Orig air filter is still clean.

Good luck finding the Jig bore.

FredR

HGR has a great return policy. If somethings wrong or you've changed your mind just return it. I think you have 30 days. Try that with Reliable.
>>> Jim

I have a Hauser B3-DR in like new condition with Hidenhain dro that reads to .00005,Schaublin tooling and manuals. It is prewired for NC. Anyone know of its value. Jerrel

Auction in SC yesterday, Moore no. 3 from the 1960's, looked a bit rough for a jig grinder...sold for $10,000 plus 10 percent BP to a *dealer* I can't believe he paid that much for one that old. Came with one grinding head, the other two he paid $400 each for.

At the same auction a Moore no. 3 jig borer with about a dozen Moore tool holders, including a Moore boring head and cabinet...went for $250 !!! And it was in way nicer shape than the jig grinder.

From the Raytheon plant (military components) in Sherman, TX yesterday:

Moore Jig G18 went for $15K. Was in pristine shape with lots of tooling. Tape drive and all.

Right before it two SIPs also sold.
SIP CNC Jig Borer, first one for ~$25K and the SIP CNC Jig Borer, the second one, went for ~$20K.

Add in appropriate dealer 15% and 6.25% state tax (unless for resell, obvisoulsy).

All 3 machines were in separate climate controlled room separate from manufacturing/machine floor. Temp was maintained 68F +/- 0.25 and machines were certified every 6 months (according to Raytheon guys walking around shaking their heads at their shop closing down). Overall, cheap prices for a lot of CNC tools for this auction (from what I've seen compared to other auctions) but these machines were old. Very well kept, just old. For instance, there were 5? of these K&T machine centers K&T MM1015 that went for 1-5K. In fact, for the last one, the auctioneer had to start at a 100 bucks to get a bid and it finally broke 1K after much auctioneer harking "don't loose it for a mere 100 bucks!"

Rex

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this SWEET Moore Jig Grinder (Lot # 111); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Moore.jpg
MOORE JIG GRINDER MODEL NO. 3 SERIAL G1197 You must use our Rigger - Rigging Fee $300.00

Back