More on Phillips and JIS Screwdrivers
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A week or so back we were talking about screwdrivers, and the subject of Phillips and Japanese Industrial Standard "crosspoint" screwheads came up. Since I'm a big fan of P B Baumann screwdrivers, and the Baumann catalog doesn't mention JIS drivers, I pinged Baumann's US distributor, Count on Tools to find out of JIS crosspoint screwdrivers were available.

Count on Tools forwarded my query to Baumann, and this is the factory's response:

"The dimensions of the PB Phillips drivers are laid out to match both screw types, ISO/DIN as well as JIS. That means, the PB 00 driver correspond to the JIS 00 screws, the O driver to the JIS 0 screws and so forth."

I've used and loved Baumann's straight-slot screwdrivers for years . . . I think it's time to invest in some of their Phillips screwdrivers.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny, it was only yesterday that I was explaining to one of the engineers that Japanese cross point screwdrivers actually hold the screw on the end of the bit so they don't fall off.

Chris P

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's another screw similar to Phillips called a Posi-Drive but a Phillips will usually round it off. Where Phillips drivers and bits are numbered P1,P2,P3 etc. Posi-Drives are PD1,PD2,PD3 etc. A Posi-Drive bit in a Posi-Drive screw is a very good fit. One place these screws are used is a Ford throttle position sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's another screw similar to Phillips called a Posi-Drive but a Phillips will usually round it off.
    Hi Ralph,

Hewlett-Packard (now Agilent) has used the Posi-Drive screws in their test equipment for at least 40 years, and they're an unending source of problems. The flat-head screws can be identified by four radial lines, between the slots. HP only uses flat-heads, so I don't know if other head styles are similarly identified.

Phillips drivers will work under low-torque conditions. But if the screw has already been torqued down, or if the tech applies too much torque when re-assembling a unit, the screw heads will strip. They probably work fine with a Posi-Drive tool, but I've never owned one

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to but in!
    Does anybody know, what material is used in making these?...I'm thinking of something like
    S7 tool steel?? or 17 4 PH...do you know?

I was making some bits out of W1, just heated
    up the end and let cool on it's own but I was not
    happy with the results....the squere end, I guess
    called robinson screw driver?, sheard off in no time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Posi-Drives are PD1,PD2,PD3 etc."
    Acually, I know Pozi-drives as PZ0, PZ1 etc. Can also be Z0, Z1......
    In Europe they are 95% of the crossheads you'll see. The angle of the slots are different to Philips, so they don't interchange well. Advantage of the PoziDrive is that it will hold the screw by itself.

Benta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Phillips head are a PITA. The angled slots cause the driver to ride up and out under torque load. Where as Pozi drive have parallel? flanks; much more secure and safer, less skinned knuckles
    We use both here and Pozi has been used for quite some time.
    Don`t inter change drivers, Pozi with Phillips or vise versa, because you will screw up the
    drive tips. My 2c worth.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Pozidrive, I tried for years with little success to get my fellow mechanics to realize that the little lines on the head meant a different screwdriver! It's a great system and a shame that they get cursed after rounding out with a Philips driver. Same guys would curse Torx after buggering them with an Allen key.

Now I'm in watchmaking and it's even worse... the most pitiful "big" screwdrivers are to be found in watch workshops.

Funny thing is my favorite PZ drivers came in a NOS set of Snap-ons from the 70's I bought here in Switzerland at a flea market. Nobody knows Snap-on here so they were a steal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I was making some bits out of W1, just heated
    up the end and let cool on it's own but I was not
    happy with the results....the squere end, I guess
    called robinson screw driver?, sheard off in no time!"

Konrad, I think you're going to have to water-quench & temper the tool steel to get it to last. I don't think just "high carbon" is enough to get that.

Check with a file...if you can still cut the W1 in your test bits, it's not hard enough IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Acually, I know Pozi-drives as PZ0, PZ1 etc. Can also be Z0, Z1......"

"Ditto" Had 3 of the green handled PB Baumann for years.... find that they fit every European power tool. Screws identified as philips like, but with a star-type pattern of radiating dash marks (4) between the x philips like head. I say like, because the x-slot is wider and precise and shallow....... which is why phillips screwdrivers mess them up.

Strongly recommend the PB -pozidrives.

Where did you get yours? BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to toss a little oil on the fire...I have heard that the Philips head was designed to force the driver to cam out of the screw head before the screw was over tightened. Appearently workers were breaking slot head screws by over tightening then with bits in braces. Anyone else ever heard this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have heard that the Philips head was designed to force the driver to cam out of the screw head before the screw was over tightened.
    Actually, the Phillips design has almost exactly the opposite purpose. It enables the screws to be picked up.

They're designed for use in an assembly line environment, where there's a whole bin full of screws of the same size. The worker uses a vacuum-powered screwdriver with a hollow tip. Stick the driver into the bin and pull it out with a screw firmly attached. The geometry of the point allows the screw to rotate and position itself on the end of the tip, where it's held quite securely by the vacuum.

We had lots of these on the assembly line when I worked for GE, and they worked amazingly well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Japanese motorcycle crosshead screws mostly suit a Reed & Prince driver....lord knows why.

regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My preference is either Torx, or if I can't use that, hex cap screws...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mentioned in that discusion that I had just found a Facom set that was for these terminals and they came yesterday. They fit the screwa perfectly! They ended up costing a bit, but will be worth it. If anyone can point me to a State Side seller for these it would be great. Do the PB Bauman drivers look the same?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Facom-Screwdrive...QQcmdZViewItem

Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Luke,
    That particular Facom looks like one for a variant of the pozidrive electrical guys use - a combination flat pozidrive. I hate them! but that tool looks perfect for dealing with them.

http://www.pbbaumann.com/