What's new
What's new

Mouse Milk

daleroe

Cast Iron
A friend of mine sent me on a mission to discover what mouse milk was. It appears to be an unusual penetrating oil that is not effected by heat. "Mouse Milk Oil is Recommended by AiResearch, Continental, Lycoming, Beechcraft, and Cessna for use in freeing turbine waste gate shafts." The reason I am posting here is it says that it can be used for a cutting fluid, "MOUSE MILK is an effective cutting fluid when drilling tapping or turning metals." Has anyone out there used it?
~dale

http://www.mousemilk.com/

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips/Turbo-Wastegates.htm

Well, it would be easy enough to try and make your own. According to the MSDS on the web site, it is <60% toluene, >35% petroleum distillate, and 1-10% MEK and isopropyl 99. So it is thinned out kerosene :)

This is funny, because the term "Mouse Milk" used a derisive term to denote auto engine oil additives with marketing that resembled "snake oil salesmen". You know, exaggerated claims backed by "testimonials" or rigged demonstrations.

MEK is very hazardous to human eyes, isn't it? Doesn't it destroy most types of plastic?

I wonder how Kano Labs "Kroil" compares to the above analysis ? (No MSDS on their website. I'll have to get them to fax one to me.) I dunno about high temps like waste gates, but I've been amazed at some of the rusted stuff Kroil has freed for me.

John Ruth

I've actually used mouse milk. It's claim to fame is muscle in a hussle. I put a sparingly amount on each nipple on an eighteen minty eight Sterling safety bicycle and removed all spoke nipples. I also used it to remove all the spokes on an eighteen eighty six Singer ordinary. In both cases all spokes were removed. I soaked all threads for two days periodicaly. I do not know if there is anything better but Wix aircraft supply has a few of my dollars. I've used it on quite a few other situations and perhaps I am a lucky man but I am at this time not looking for anything else.

Let's go back and read that MSDS again: it's Methyl ISOBUTYL Ketone in the Mouse Milk, not M Ethyl K.

I do know several A&P mechanics who swear that Mouse Milk is the world's best penetrating oil. (Still, the maker's claim that MM in an opened container -- nb: openED, not open -- looses its penetrating properties in 30 days is enough to keep me from buying any.)

On the other hand, I've worked with automotive mechanics who were as adamant about GM or Chrysler Heat Riser Lubricant as the aircraft guys were about Mouse Milk. I'd certainly expect any penetrant labelled as suitable for heat risers to hold up under high temperatures. Old-fashion yellow-can Liquid Wrench and Dri-Slide both claimed to free stuck heat risers, and both claimed to carry solid lubricant that would remain after the solvent evaporated.

Ford's spray-can penetrating oil also has fans in autodom, but all I remember about it is that it was gawd-awful messy.

John

I have tested out a lot of different penetrating oils and mouse milk is fairly good, where it really shines is breaking down oxides of non-ferrous metals such as aluminium. This is why it's used in the aviation repair field. As for good old steel, we found mixing acetone and trans fluid together in a 50/50 mix actually works just as good or often better than all the others (Kroil, PB Blast, Liquid wrench ..ect..). The acetone basically turns the iron oxide (rust) in carbon which is brittle.

I'm glad for this necro thread just because I missed it the first time and the fact that traytopjohnny used mouse milk on nipples. What happened to traytop he was a great poster?

Back