Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TRYP:
    I will add my vote to the sell the machines and buy when you get here. There are lots of good deals on machinery in the southern Ontario area (also Detroit and Toledo)
    I'll bet that you'll probably get more for you machines in BC than you'll spend to replace them here.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll point you at a couple of decent dealers/sources here.

Cheers
    Pete
    Sudbury (via St. Johns, London ON, Abbotsford, Red Deer, Yellowknife)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I moved all my machinery from my old place in Sydney to my new place in Hobart Tas. My company paid for the move.

I packed everything myself in wooden crates fabbed from plywood that I made myself. Every crate had a pallet type base for easy moving using a forklift or pallet jack. I didn't crate the B/port or the Arboga radial arm drill but I stripped off every easily broken bit, took the B/port head off and crated it separately. In all I filled one and a half 20' shipping containers with stuff.

All small tooling etc went into crates as well. All the same size - 1200mm long, 600mm wide and 400mm high. This dimension because it absolutely minimises waste and it's a damn convenient size for later. I use 2 of these crates in my new shop as roll away bins under the benches, just bolted castors to the pallet type bases.

I didn't worry about insurance etc. I knew it was all packed the way I wanted, the lathe was bolted to the base, braced in all possible directions and then boxed in with 12mm ply. Even if it fell over, it wasn't going to get damaged.

My advice - if it's a precison tool pack it yourself in a custom built crate, on a pallet base. Piece of cake ot move about with a pallet jack then. And you'll be happy knowing that even if it ends up in storage for years, the stuff will be fine.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It don't make sense for you to quit a better paying job than the one she will get unless you will start a job at or better than the one you have now. I take it you will be moving and she will have a job and you don't. Well, that may give you a lot of shop time for projects while you are job hunting. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Carl, it doesn't make alot of sense immediately and it is hard to go from being the supporter to the supplemental income. However, the job she is taking is a management training position, I expect her salary to exceed what I make now in three to five years and reach 6 figures in 7ish years. The guys that have been working in my plant for 20 years just make 6 figures(unless its the guy that works 80 12 hour OT shifts per year) and have jobs that are at the whim of fragile pulp markets and chip supply(the pine beetle means 10 more years max)

I'm trying to get an apprenticeship at the moment, and once we find out where we are going to end up I'll be finishing my eng degree while she supports me, that is the deal.

Lots of joe jobs running forklifts, assembling stuff and whatnot it seems in the classifieds. I'll take anything initially just to be doing something. I really want to be working in a place that can teach me something though. I'll push buttons on a CNC machine for 10 bucks an hour as long as the guy that does the programing is willing to spend a few minutes here and there teaching me what he is doing, even better if the training is part of the job.

I have level 3 first aid (2 week course with transport) forklift licensing, TDG, lots of experience in various industrial areas and truck maintenence. And I'll do anything, I don't expect to be out of work for more than a few days. I'll also still be on the payroll here for a month after I leave as they pay out my time off.

But before I look for work the first thing I am doing when I get my bearings is driving to Hamilton to the steam and tech. museum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Say Erik, it just occured to me that maybe you can get a job at Standard Modern Lathes in Mississauga. Maybe they have an employee discount?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My question is actually based on a little story of mine. A long story short, we need to move from an epic in many ways city called Branson, to the city of York. And to get there by time, as well as to have an abbillity to have a place to rest and to sleep I have to make a lot of choices - actually to much to my taste. I mean I'm not a politition and an office clerk, I prefer my life to go simple and sound.
    Anyway, to main questions, aside of the other 9000 and even more, was:
    Where to go, and how to perform that?
    With the first one I handeled pretty fast(not mentioning some barriers, and some wrong moves), but with exactly how that can be done, it became a real challange. One of the friends from the city, ashured that there is planty of services like that to get to you place even a space shuttle, and even link me to some guys he used for that purpose - About Us | HandyKith. Actually the service looks promissing, as you see that in the web, but still I need to get some actuall opinion, if someone using this or some other similar service.
    Thanks for the attention and any reply on the threat!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valtor Erick View Post
    My question is actually based on a little story of mine. A long story short, we need to move from an epic in many ways city called Branson, to the city of York. And to get there by time, as well as to have an abbillity to have a place to rest and to sleep I have to make a lot of choices - actually to much to my taste. I mean I'm not a politition and an office clerk, I prefer my life to go simple and sound.
    Anyway, to main questions, aside of the other 9000 and even more, was:
    Where to go, and how to perform that?
    With the first one I handeled pretty fast(not mentioning some barriers, and some wrong moves), but with exactly how that can be done, it became a real challange. One of the friends from the city, ashured that there is planty of services like that to get to you place even a space shuttle, and even link me to some guys he used for that purpose - About Us | HandyKith. Actually the service looks promissing, as you see that in the web, but still I need to get some actuall opinion, if someone using this or some other similar service.
    Thanks for the attention and any reply on the threat!

I take bot threats seriously, like the engine warning light on an old forklift. fortunately painters took care of that with some tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I take bot threats seriously, like the engine warning light on an old forklift. fortunately painters took care of that with some tape.
    Did you click the triangle to alert the PM Police? Seems worth it...

Edit - I narced, just for safety's sake.