What's new
What's new

National Gas Outlet Tap?!

ohspyro89

Cast Iron
Well, its a common thread in the paintball industry, but I cannot find a Tap or die to save my life!

The threads are 0.825"-14 NGO (National Gas Outlet) right-hand male or female. I cant find either.

Id prefer a bottoming tap, the threads are about a half inch deep.

Does anybody know where to find one of these taps?

Also, how would one go about tapping such a hole? Would it need to be automated (cnc) or can it be done by hand?

All these standard but oddball gas valve threads are satisfied by taps carried in stock by major tap manufacturers.

You could bore the thread on a lathe in an hour.

I know this topic is a little old, but the right thread for an ASA is CGA 320. It will be hard to get a tap. A tap that will work for an ASA would be 1/2 nps. It is slightly off, but will work good, and is more common than CGA 320.

I make some parts for air guns we take a paintball co2 tank and make an adapter to fit on bb and pellet guns . The thread on the paintball tank is a 1/2 inch npts( national pipe tap straight)
.825 od and 14 threads per inch.
You can buy it from travlers ,msc mcmaster carr,
its a very common tap.

There's no such thing as an NGO tap because there's no such thing as an NGO.
NGO and National Gas Outlet is tossed around a lot and referenced as a spec
that is well maintained like the CGA. Fact is, like Santa, aliens, ghosts &
goblins - the NGO does not exist.

There's no such thing as an NGO tap because there's no such thing as an NGO.
NGO and National Gas Outlet is tossed around a lot and referenced as a spec
that is well maintained like the CGA. Fact is, like Santa, aliens, ghosts &
goblins - the NGO does not exist.

13 years late to the party you finally set us all straight......

Dunno where Mister fizz gets his info from, but it is wrong. I have a. 830 X 14 NGO tap that I use for cutting the thread in drop blocks made to accept paintball bottles. The thread specification is detailed in an ASTM document designated F 1750 - 05 and titled Standard Specification for Paintball Marker Threaded-Propellant Source Interface.
Regards
Norris

I know this is an old subject but I wanted to come here to let others know that 1/2-14 NPST female threads are not compatible with .830-14 NGO Male threads. The male NGO thread is just a few thousands bigger and will not thread up unless you take a 1/2-14 die to the thread to reduce it.

I bought a 1/2-14 tap to make some paintball regulator adapters and the regulators I purchased will not thread in. The 1/2-14 tap major diameter measures .824" where as the CAD file for the. 830" NGO tap on McMaster shows it to measure .830". Looks like I get to buy a very expensive tap from McMaster! IMG_20220619_095341.jpg

Back