Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DOM,
    I did some digging if you realy want to use an Amsoil product. The equivalent would be Amsoil "SGL" or "SGM". Only available in 5 gal. pails for $151.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JR, THX for all your help and advice. I'm gonna order the Mobilgear 629 from MSC.
    My saw will seldom run long enough to heat up to any appreciable degree, and it should work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so went round and round looking for anything on "Compound FF oil", nothing. So i looked in what i believe is a newer manual for my Kalamazoo H9AW Horizontal Saw than what i have (my manual is from 1974). The newer manual states , and i Quote "Gearbox: Mobilegear #634 (1 pint required).

I can get a quart of SCH 634 from e-bay for $27. & free ship. Anyone want to hazard a guess if this is the same thing. It's really heavy stuff, ISO 460 is SAE 140 weight, but it's what Kalamazoo is calling for. I know this gear-box is supposedly " sealed for life" but after 44 years i really want to change it.

4. Likes Alexjm liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dirty old man View Post
    I believe that modern oils are a lot better than the older ones and I believe that modern oils, Amsoil synthetic air compressor oil in my case, allowed me to overdrive a 5 hp Gardner Denver compressor designed and rated for 550 rpm with 5 hp motor, to 7.5 hp @ 850 rpm. That patched up old compresser has been running it's ass off for about 10 years in overdrive.
    And I have no doubt that today's oil has had a big share in the success.
    Now for a question, often I encounter an older machine which may specify a certain oil for a specific application. And often it's just specified by brand and trade name and you may have an equivilent oil in another brand on the shelf and not even know it.
    So, is there a site where you can compare and find equivalents?
    Yes modern lubricants are purified and free of contamination issues. I am using quality lubricants and filtration system from micro-lube, and machines are running smooth. Following proper lubrication practice and using filter system before using them in equipments and other machineraiess. We just need to use high quality lubricants and keep them clean to acheive lubrication excellence.