New mailbox time....any creative ideas?? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, after waiting as long as dkmc has so far -- plus or minus a few months -- I finally replaced my repeatedly vandalized box.

Maybe the extra wood will take its toll on a baseball bat ot so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a Cletrac M, belongs to a fellow who owns a machine salvage parts business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kept this when I sold the house 15 yrs ago. Was single and everything about my modest home was "cute". The babes liked that. Even had a urinal behind a bush in the backyard, plumbed into the waste line. Made the mailbox from 10 guage. Trim was old #8 wire twisted with 1/2" drill. Hasp and hinges homegrown. Used an antique brass lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After going through a mail theft situation (creating new bank account etc.), I designed and made this:
    http://www.JamesRiser.com/Machinery/...y/Mailbox.html

I will be adding some steel desert scenery to it as I get the time. The important thing is that it works and even the postal workers like it as they can load it all with only one hand.
    Jim

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow.......there's enough steel in that one to make
    1 AMC pacer and half a nash rambler!

dk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a guy around here that has the micrometer mailbox mentioned above in front of his shop. I couldn't tell you the name of his shop, but could take you right to it. I guess his little advertisement via the mailbox has done half of the job anyhow...
    Actually, now that I think about it, they are thread mics and are holding a screw in the blades... Must be a thread grinder I guess... Hey, I need a good thread grinder that's close... I'll have to stop buy and visit him... Thanks for bringing this up DKMC... I just may get a good vendor out of it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

an idea I had was to take 2 pieces of 1/2" plate drill 4 matching holes (probably 1/4") weld them both to heavy barstock (3" seems good"). Bury the shorter post in concrete 24" or so diameter (plate 1-2" above the ground with the plate up. Mount your mailbox to the post. Breakaway.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My mailbox

Quote Originally Posted by adammil1 View Post
    Gotta love google image search! Here's a few sites Mailbox site

This one's bound to discourage any potential theives from considering your house!

There's a better tractor one on the site but it is just plain too big.

some other funny ones there too. Why not just go to an auction and buy some sort of cheap off beat brand milling machine and paint the ways grey or something. Perhapse for a machine shop, see if you can scrounge up an old large Micrometer. Like one of 4fters or make your own, and mount the box a top. Sounds like a fun idea.
    Here is the mailbox I came up with. I put some breakaway bolts on the base. So far no complaints from my mail carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190207_113046.jpg   20190207_113105.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always thought that the crank,flywheel, and pistons from a D john deere with the pistons pointed straight up and the mailbox fastened to the piston that is at top dead center. An even more custom idea is to have someone paint something on the flywheel that touches your fancy!