What's new
What's new

Newbie Machinist Questions

Gearbox

Plastic
After two solid weeks of complete disassembly, derusting, parts repair/replacement, and applying a fresh coat of battle ship grey, my 1969 Clausing barn find is ready to go.

IMG_2345.JPG

http://www.thelolaregistry.com/DIY/Machine%20Shop/IMG_2381.JPG

Read the manual and everything else I could get my hands on, and outside of now knowing the name of every part of the lathe, I'm still not quite sure on how to make parts. Specifically, what speeds to use for various metals and parts, what cutting tips, how to set up the tooling, compound, lead screw speeds, etc. A really good all incompassing "How To" book written for a leyman like myself would be great if anyone knows of a good recommendation.

So far, as for machining equipment, I have the lathe and a vertical mill that I have been using primarily as a drill press for the past couple of years. But, now with the new toy, I want to make stuff.

I figure for my first project, I'll do something easy (I think) as I need a pivot pin for a window regulator on a 1971 Porsche 911S I'm restoring. The part is about .65" round stepping down to .51" and 1.04" long. It has a slot at one end that almost completely cuts through the larger diameter section to hold the regulator spring, and the sides of the other smaller end is shaved on both sides in order to press fit into the windo regulator arm. The part is turned from 6061 Aluminum alloy which I have a suitable bar. Any ideas from those Master Machinists out there? Thanks Allan

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

I never picked up a book on machining I am
about 10% taught by other's and 90% trial
and error, trial and error hurts a lot when the
broken tool money is pulled from your own pocket!
Just wanted to say welcome and nice job on the
Clausing,....................Bob

P.S. On the learning, try to conjure up a
senior member close by for a visit, a skilled
mentor will speed the learning process ten
times over.

Beautiful job. Congrats on the find. Machining that piece should be fairly straightforward. Chuck up your 6061 and turn the three diameters, with the smallest being toward the right (tailstock end). When you have your sizes where you want them, use a parting tool to cut the piece off a little long (.03" is usually what I leave). Re-chuck the piece in the lathe and drill the hole in it to the required depth. Alternatively you could set it up in your vertical mill and drill it, but that might be a pita for you. Then set it iup on the vert. mill in a vise and use an endmill to cut the flats on the small end. Lastly, set it up in a v-block with the large end overhanging the v-block and a clamp over the middle/small diameter area, and use a slitting saw/slotting cutter to machine the slot. If you haven't got a slitting saw, you could alternatively try a bandsaw or a hand saw, if you're careful. You can leave the sawcut a little small and use a file if necessary to "clean up" the slot. You could also maybe get away with cutting the slot with a small endmill, if it will make it, sizewise.

Damn, that's nice.

Wish there were barns equipped like that around here.

edited: Sorry, I got caught up with the machine and forgot that you had a question sort of.

Your porsche part shouldn't be to complicated. Make a detailed drawing of the dimensions you need to cut.

Chuck up your bar with a little bit in the chuck and a live center in the tailstock (center drill for the live center). Leave yourself room to work between the chuck and tailstock center. Cut the major diameters, part off a little long (or some like to take it to the saw). Chuck up each end and face to length. Take it to the mill to cut your flats and slots. Couldn't tell if there was anything unusual to the slots.

This part is worn. recheck the regulater and major diameters for a good fit when your part is pressed back on.

Thanks for all the kind words. It was a labor of love as I had always wanted a lathe and couldn't break down to buy an import nor afford the "real" ones.

Larry in LV - LOL, just gotta keep your eyes open. This one was sitting outside for about a year under a tarp in front of a gas station. Owner bought it and immediately dropped it breaking or bending all the handles and shafts. Totally disgusted, he left it there until I found it and played stupid. Not completely happy, he got some money and I took it away. Needless to say, I am ecstatic. But I think being NJ, there are more of these things out here, but you do have that aircraft graveyard that I'm dying to pillage one day

WyzKydd2358 - Thank you for walking me through the process. Given your configuration, I see that my compound would be at 30 degrees, my tool holder at 90 degrees, and I cut right to left. Now what spindle speed should I use and how deep could I cut with each pass? Thanks again Allan

Gearbox, you have the "configuration" just about how I would set it up. With high speed steel cutting tools you shouyld be okay around 800-1100 rpm range at that diameter, and higher still if carbide. However, go as slow as you are comfortable with, it will not hurt anything, and will probably keep you less nervous about crashing anything while you're learning. Use a slower feed in the .005"-.008" range, again, since you're learning. Depths of cut should be in the range of .060"-.125" to start, and adjust from there if it's cutting very good you can go deeper yet. Have fun!

Maybe use up a length of round stock, playing with feeds/speeds, etc.

A great job on the restoration.
Prior owner sounds like the type who would let it sit for a few hundred years, no effort to fix/sell/scrap, just part of the landscaping.

Welcome to the forum amd very nice job on the lathe.
Now your in Westfield, there have to be 20 people within 5 mins of you that can come over and show you the basics without breaking anything, all you need do is find them. Start by asking the people you know, "Do you know how to run a lathe?" If they say no but I think so inso does let me call him, your in biz... I will bet that it wont take you knocking on 6 doors of people that you have never met and you will find someone.

Nice job, Gearbox. If the "S" cleans up as nicely as the Clausing, you're in business.

Good choice on the 71 model. I always did like that one. 2,2 engine in it? I've owned a few of them. If you get real slick with the lathe and mill, you should make several of the little clutch cable ends that hook onto the throwout arm- they're bad about breaking at the worst time.
Bluegrass

Thanks again for all the great help. I'm a gearhead at heart and have a passion for learning much as I can when it comes to making things. I'm ordering all the books that have been recomended so far and hope to have a reasonable compentency within a short time.

Gary E - LOL, you know Westfield? It's a white collar executive neighborhood full of CEO's, CFO's, Managing Directors, MD's and Lawyers. When my son was in Scouts, I was asked to give a workshop on building a pine wood derby car, just to find out that there was not one Dad who knew how to handle a screwdriver nor hammer and chisel. After some futile efforts, I just told them to buy the pre-made ones and call it a day. Despite being one of these guys when I'm working (try not to do that too often) I'm the odd ball with 18 cars that I race, collect, and restore in my driveway, garage, and basement. So finding a lathe operator within 5 min would be a stretch, 20 min maybe, in another town definitely. But I get your drift, gotta find someone to show me the basics and to call when I get in trouble. Any takers? I got a cold six pack for anyone that wants to make the trip, hell, I'll even pickyou up! LOL :D

Bluegrass - Yeah, had the car for about 18 years, sold it to friend 15 years ago until he had to have my Boxster and got it back with the deal. Undergoing a full resto ground up. Should be ready for paint in a couple of weeks. Just gotta wait for the neighbors to go to work one day and shoot the car before anyone figures out I'm not spraying for misquetoes. Check out my site at www.TheLolaRegistry.com and see all the cars I'm working on. It's a sickness. ;)

SIR,
do all of the lathe operations.
leave the part long, then
do the mill work. then make the
cutoff, and finsh the end.
simple mistakes, cutting off the
part before all the operations are
finished. you may not have any material
to hold it for the last operation.
good luck with your projects.
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

Gearbox , unfortunately, you are about 60 miles away from me, or I would be happy to come by and give you some hands on pointers. Check your phone book for Machine Shops, find the smallest one, and stop by with your part, asking how much it would cost to have one made (I know, you're making it yourself, but this is just to get your foot in the door). With any luck, the guy you talk to will also be one of the machinists... strike up a conversation about your hobby; most machinists love to talk about how to make parts (as long as they aren't pressed for time)... take it from there.
BTW, beautiful job on the Clausing!

RAS

Very nice restoration, I like it. I highly recommend How to Run a Lathe by South Bend as the others do. I have two different issues of the original book vol 1 issue 45 and 49. I also have a manual from Craftsman and one from Atlas called Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables. Atlas made Craftsman lathes. I also have The Starrett Book for Machinists Apprentices vol 1,13th edition,1931. All are good books with lots of info that is still good today. The Machinery Handbook doesn't really help to learn how to run a lathe.

Thanks all, I have a bunch of books on order and bought a Phase II tool mounting system. Turned my first part making numerious passes at 900 rpm, shaving alittle at a time. Felt that I could cut deeper, but went slow since it was my first go at it. I got a square collet holder and positioned the part with the tail sticking out. Mounted it in my milling vice and made several passes with an end mill to make the flats. Turned the collet holder 180 degrees and milled the other side. Then used a circular saw blade on the mill and finihed off the slot. Part pressed in perfectly on the first try. And it only took me 2 hours lol. Now to look for more projects to build. This is quite fun. Thanks again Allan

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

Back