Now I'm looking for a .250-20 ACME Tap! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, forgot the part that its in delrin. Just make your own tap then. We did that a few times where I used to work. We made a few acme taps out of Stainless that worked just fine in Delrin. And money not being a problem you can just have a couple ground from HSS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jribosh, Western Tap has one for $250. And, they can even make a .250-28 ACME and even finer. Too cool as if we need a bit extra, we can always thing about a .250-28!

He said medical uses .250-20 a lot. So it's not so rare after all.

Can't make a tap and predict efficiencies on a nut tapped with a "real" tap.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laminar-flow View Post
    You guys are something. Not a lead screw for a micro mill. It's part of an electromechanical actuator I'm designing for a %&*@$%#^??Ó#, which is used on a $?Á„‰Á‡°Øˆ, which your taxes are paying for, so money is not a problem. Space is very limited and it weight is also important. Efficiency is important and the final parts will have to be electropolished and will run in most likely a teflon filled delrin nut. This is why a V thread will not be as good. We probably could use a V thread for testing and just factor in the efficiency loss. And if we have enough transfer through the #$*%^*@# coupling, a V thread might work in the end.

Thanks for the help!
    You are going to find that most of the guys on here are self centered pricks, I would look someplace else. Speaking from experince.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen1953 View Post
    You are going to find that most of the guys on here are self centered pricks, I would look someplace else. Speaking from experince.
    This is the 1st. thread I've read on the forum since rejoining today. Lot's a good input until I got to your post. I guess I'll be one of those individual's you speak of.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the piece to be threaded something you can put in a lathe to single point? I've had good luck single pointing both right and left hand 1/2"-10 acme nuts by silver soldering a HSS tool bit on a turned down grade 8 bolt and then grinding the bit on my tool and cutter grinder. Since 20 threads isn't standard you could get the grind dimensions by calculating the info in the Machinery's Handbook or go here:

ACME General Purpose Thread Design Calculator | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com

Just a thought,
    Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen1953 View Post
    You'll more often find that people who seek opportunity to make posts like this, are just trolling, and not taking the time to check the date of the posting and realize that the thread has been over a decade deceased.

7. Likes bsg liked this post