What's new
What's new

NUTTALL lathes

AAB

Banned
I have an old Nuttall lathe that says 879 & 12.8.49 on the bed & need all the info that I can get.

This subject got a good run in "Australian made machine tools" thinking taht they are Oss made.

I have been told by a couple of U.K. guys that it is from the U.K. but I cannot get anywhere there either.

The lathe swings 14 inches dia & has a 4 ft 3.5 inch bed with a 4.5 inch insert at the chuck end

Regards to all,

AAB :rolleyes:

I think those English blokes are jealous that such high quality lathes could not be made in the UK...

AFAIK all Nuttall's were made in Sydney...Is your a cone head or geared head???

I had one that looked like this(and was in similar looking condition) that was made in the early 60's..
nuttall.jpg

A later series one
18138702F.JPG

18138701F.JPG

another link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/metalworking-lathe-nuttall-metricscrewcutting-autofeed_W0QQitemZ290011695994QQihZ019QQcategoryZ105827QQcmdZViewItem

[ 08-03-2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Ringer ]

I seem to recall discussing the Nuttall brand with some machinists who were used to Colchesters, Harrisons, Lorch etc and they thought they were a nice solid accurate machine.

I think the fact that they were made in Australia made some people reluctant to believe they were worthy.

The early sixties model looks rather 'Dean, Smith and Grace' like to me.

The first picture looks like a rebadged Mitchell or Berry lathe and the other one looks like an Elliott made by BEC.The tailstock is definitely Elliott.
Mark.

Ringer & others,

Had a bad day yesterday trying to download a pic,
even buggered up the " grumpy face " attachment.

Am trying again

AAB
nuttall1

" EUREKA " it worked,

The door in the background leads to our wine cellar, with a lot of good red in there, & if I wasn't going to see the Bulldogs (Footscray variety) thrash the Tigers (Richmond) this afternoon,I would go down there & celebrate

regards to all,

AAB

Nice very nice...The only difference that I can see to my old one is the head and tailstock....Your's being cone and mine was geared other than that the actual bed casting, quick change gearbox and apron look identical...Even the colour is the same...

I have fitted a 1.5 HP 1440 rev 240 v single phase motor & she looks really great.

Still need a manual though !!

Regards from Melbourne, Australia,

AAB

ABB, Yup your Nuttall is exactly the same as my one, only mines much nicer looking :)

Any questions just shoot me off an email and I'll be more than happy to help you out. No need for a manual.

cheers

Mike

AAA, Mike,

Many thanks for your offer. I am in the process of stripping her down & removing about 57 years ( 1949 model ) build up of grease, oil & various & sundry swarf dirt,etc etc.

While I have her apart, I will try to work out which handle or knob operates what on the side of the saddle & the gear train.

So far, she looks extremely wear free.

Any ideas as to how to cut metric threads on an imperial lathe ?

Obviously it is a function of spindle speed compared to feed shaft speed.

Regards from Melbourne, Australia

AAB

AAB,

Mine's a 1943 model. You can cut metric threads, but you'll need a 126 tooth gear.
I notice yours is missing the gear guard and belt drive guards. i'll take some pics of mine when I get a chance to show you a few mods I mad to mine.

Mine's currently sitting idle, as i've recently moved into a new location and it hasn't been hooked up. Generally it's reserved for cast iorn or posishing work, but when i was using it regularly it held it's own. Not the most rigid machine, but beat the hell out of a small 9" machine.
As far as lubrication goes, I used Mobil Vactra 2 on the ways and standard gearbox oil in the gearbox. For the oil cups on the main bearings i just used ISO 32 hydraulic oil, but i imagine any spindle oil will do. Vactra 2 is dam expensive in Australia, so you might want to ask for an equivalent. I was lucking in that I had a source.
If you have trouble with the leather belt slipping , try a little bees wax - worked for me. If you break a belt, I'd have no idea where to get one in Australia.

I can also help you out with regards to locating a tripod for your Maxim within Australia. Sorry to here you had to deactivate it, Vic police should have advised you it could be kept intact and advised you about how to get a display permit for your museum. Oh well. What museum is it at, 12th LH?

Cheers

Mike

ABB, Mike,

Have been away for the weekend, hence my slow reply.

I have fitted all of the guards to my lathe now & many thanks for the lubes advice & the bee's wax bit.

I would love to know where to source a tripod for the Maxim machine gun. I assume that you saw the photo of my father sitting behind a Maxim machinegun in my topic " Tripod for machinegun " in the " Gunsmithing " section of " Open discussion ".

I have been corresponding with " Fractal " from the " Tripod for machinegun " & he builds these guns.

The museum is the 8/13 VMR Museum,(Victorian mounted rifles ) located at the Gaza Ridge Barracks in North Bandiana ( near Wodonga,Vic ) & they had to go to great lengths to be able to display these items.

The 8/13 is a combination of the original 8th LH, ( my father's regiment ) & the 13 th LH. The 8th was badly mauled at the battle of " The Nek " Gappiloli & if you have seen the Mel Gibson movie, " Gallipoli ", the first 2 waves of riflenen were the 8th LH, (NOT mentioned in the movie, only the 10th LH from W.A. was mentioned !!) & if my father had not been a machinegunner, we would not be corresponding today.

Are you an Aussie migrated to the USA or a "
"Yankee" ( like my wife from Peoria Il )who came over here for a stay ?

Regards,

AAB

AAB,

I'm an Aussie, living state side.
I'm a licensed Firearms Dealer and Manufactuer here in the US.
Yeah, I know who Fractal is he hangs out on another message board I started with a good mate some years ago dedicated to MG's. I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding one, it's getting it to Australia.

Exporting a tripod from the US is probably going to be very difficult. Although it's not a firearm, it's considered an implement of war and requires state department approval for export. Generally it would also require an end user certificate.
It would be easier to source one in Australia or import from the UK or Canada.

Feel free to drop me an email and i can put you onto someone who imports that sort of stuff on a regular basis.

cheers

Mike

AAA, Mike,

My devious mind is working on a way to try & get a tripod broken down to all of it's parts & mailed independantly to Australia.

Regards,

AAB :cool:

Back