What's new
What's new

Oil for mechanical ironworker

scott t

Cast Iron
I picked up a mechanical ironworker about 3 weeks ago and would like to know what type of oil to run in it. It has a oneshot lubing sytem that feeds all the brass bushings and the necessary sliding points. I don't have a clue what to use so I really need your help. It is a 70 tonner if that makes a difference. Thanks Scott

I'm inclined to recommend an ISO220 oil like Vactra #4. Heavier oil for heavier service.

However, part of the issue is pumpability with the one-shot system...sometimes the pump system has a range of viscosities specified that it will work with.

-Matt

1. What does the manual say to use?

2. I've seen these things call out anywhere from #2 way lube up to #1 grease and everything in between.

3. A lot of old iron workers and other machines used Lincoln Lube systems. If it was high dollar, it has a Trabon or Bijur system on it. The type and size of system has a lot to do with the lube just has Matt said.
JR

Since you have already tried Geka, and they were no help, I think you are going to have to try some trial and error.
I also think an ISO 220 would be a good place to start- fill the resevoir half full, and see if it runs out like water all over the place.
If it does, move up to a heavier oil.
My new (6 year old) geka takes grease, not oil, from a little grease gun. But it has individual grease fittings, not a central pump system. So it is completely different.

not to change the subject but i have a old lathe that recamends 10 w the iso equivlent is iso 32 would it hurt to run the equivlent to the 10w or would i be better off with using 10w. and i have msc telling me that the airtool lub they recomend is 10 w would that be ok to run threw my lathe it lubeing the bearings

Back