Oldest Forklift - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest Forklift

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ross_Carrier/files/ Goto this link at yahoo. He provide me with parts and service manuals, sales brochures and who purchased my 1951 Ross Carrier series 5 Forklift on 27Sep1950.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 1951 Ross Carrier Series 5W Forklift. It was sold new on 27 SEP 1950. It has had the Contenental engine replace in 1978. Little Y112 flat head four. When we got it it had been outside for a lot of year. Carb was shot. Had a hole in the bowl. Someone installed a 68 super beetle carb on it. Had to make a adapter to make it fit. We replace that carb with a Chrysler slant six carb and had to make a larger adapter. It runs really rich so we need to jet it down some. The throw out bearing failed on a hill and the brakes did to. I'm glad I wasn't driving. Repaired the damaged radiator. Took about 9 months to find brake parts and get the wheel cylinder rebuilt. Very odd setup. The master cylinder was on the shelf at our local auto parts store. We went to use it the other day and the start sound really weak. Guess what it was still a six volt starter. Oh well easy fix. Only other thing that really don't work right is the tilt back. You let go and it bleeds forwards. Oh well I love it and think it is cool.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Towmotor with a 6 cylinder inline flathead Continental. Not sure on age, but I was watching a WW2 Navy film and saw one identical on a dock. Had to rewind that and watch again.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone have a old Towmotor in the Phoenix area they are looking to get rid of ??

I've got an old Hyster YE-40 not sure of the years they were made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neighbor has a Clark Planeloader (first Clark with Pnumatic tires) Used in WWII for loading planes on less than perfect fields. (used dualed up 16 in Jeep tires) 2 k capacity.

His was built in 46, and is the same as the wartime ones..

The Continental 6 cylinder engine is old enough to smoke, and it does...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a pic of my Hyster yt-40 from the fifties. Uses the top to tilt the mast.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forklift-1.jpg   forklift-3.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HOLY thread Resurrection! It sat in its coffin since 2003!

Loved my old Baker with the 4cl flat head. Bought it for $500 (almost scrap price) with "the engine on its last legs" as both the seller and I agreed as it putted about. Took it to my shop and gave it a tune up. The spark plugs must have been the original ones. The tops all rusted out and you could FEEL the blow through from the cylinder as it ran! New plugs put the cylinders back in proper pressure and the engine ran like a champ. Used it for 8yrs then sold it for $1200.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Doing a survey on who owns the oldest RUNNING forklift. I just bought an old "Towmotor" with a 4 cylinder flathead "Continental". Cant find a model or serial # on the lift.
    On my 1950's towmotor forklift it also didn't have a plate on it describing model, serial, or lifting capacity. The number on mine was hiding on the bottom of the front cowl under the middle bolt.

Since then I have found another towmotor serial plate for my model forklift. Here it is.

Inches between axle centers will determine model number. My axle center to center is 48", so mine is a L480.

I'm still learning about it, and do not know what all the other numbers are or how to decode them.

I have a thread going here on the towmotor

Towmotor Forklift model ????

definitly a fun forklift to drive and I havn't got it stuck any where in the yard since removing the counterweight, mud, snow, wet soggy grass, its fun, my wife did all the snow plowing last year with it using a 5' blade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all,

I just acquired what looks like a 1958 Bake fork lift it runs great! I am interested in seeing what someone might be willing to buy it for. It's a 2000lbs lift a very small footprint gas powered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to have an old, probably 50's Clark lift, selling it was a sad day, but after operating the newer lift with power steering, sideshift, and working brakes, I got over it

11. Likes Garwood liked this post