What's new
What's new

One shot lubricator tubing

adamsgt

Cast Iron
I have a few question about the one shot lubrication system installed on the used mill I bought.

First there are a couple of sections of tubing hanging loose. One comes down inside the knee from the top. The other comes from the right side of the pump.

DSCN0537.jpg

I looked under the knee at the screw post and saw a fitting which may be where the tubing coming out of the pump goes.

DSCN0538.jpg

I connected the tubing to the fitting under the knee.

DSCN0539.jpg

Still don't know what that other piece of tubing is for. My first thought is that this might be the end of the lubrication runs to allow the lube to flow. I have no second thought. Help please?

Few more questions.
What type of lube should I be putting into this system. How often should it be used and how do you tell when you've lubed enough?

What is the grate covering? I can tell it's not leaking on the floor. Well, I really can't get down that far as my knees are still too stiff from two knee replacements.

I noticed an oil port on the head of the mill. Again, what kind of oil and how much and how often?

Whew, that's a bunch of stuff.

And I have no idea of why I have a piece of paper with OBGYN on it. Well, maybe that's because I had to look up the mills knee. :o

OK Guys

47 views and no one can tell me what kind of lubricant to put in the pump? In all fairness the tech support at J&L couldn't tell me either. A search on their site for "spindle oil" did show some products.

mobil vactra oil #2 ,way oil medium

sorry. just read post
don`t yell at me please

Thanks scrapbin, I bought a jug of that for the used lathe that I bought so I guess I'm covered on the mill as well.

It's not until you buy a piece of complicated machinery without a users manual that you realize how much basic stuff you just don't know. :confused:

I just use 30 weight non detergent motor oil , oil the cups on the head once a day .
Why does everyone get so excited at Vactra oil ? it just goes in and drips out anyway .
I think that loose hose must have come loose from somewhere . Plug it off at least , or you wont get enough pressure to pump where its needed .
Mostly the X screw nut , and X ways are where the lube is needed .
Pump it a few times a day if you are taking long cuts with the table . Every thing else gets over oiled in the process . No big deal . Thats why they put the drain in the base . after 50 years or so it will be all filled with tramp oil . By then oil will be worth $100 a quart , and maybe you can take it to the recycling center and get enough to buy a loaf of bread .

You should be using a 10W spindle oil. Little bit in the cup daily and a few drops down the drawbar to lube the spline. If there is a grease zerk on the side of the head about 1 tsp grease every two months.

This is out of my manual for my supermax.

The tube hanging from the lube pump should connect to a manifold block up on the saddle under the left hand side of the table. That would supply oil to the ways and screws.
An alternative guess is the piece hanging form inside the knee is broken off that one and just supplys oil to the screws.

The tube hanging from the lube pump should connect to a manifold block up on the saddle under the left hand side of the table. That would supply oil to the ways and screws.
An alternative guess is the piece hanging form inside the knee is broken off that one and just supply's oil to the screws.

Yeah, I had been wondering if the two pieces should be one instead. I'm not sure that what I thought was a connector on the knee post is really for that type lube. Grease would seem to be more appropriate for the large screw post. My knees are still too painful for me to get down and peer around under the knee for any period of time. Just wondering how the tubing could have been broken rather than pulled out of a connector. Looks as if it's too small to splice together with an internal connector. Oh well, this kind of stuff keeps life interesting if not frustrating. :confused:

I think oil would have been used on all the parts of the mill, not grease. Oil will help flushout any dirt and chips. My guess is the tube hanging out from underneath is connected to a block inside the knee and the one hanging form the oiler goes directly to the elevating nut

I think oil would have been used on all the parts of the mill, not grease. Oil will help flushout any dirt and chips. My guess is the tube hanging out from underneath is connected to a block inside the knee and the one hanging form the oiler goes directly to the elevating nut

OK, so that means I have to find another empty connector somewhere inside the knee. I've connected the one from the oiler to the connector at the elevating nut but it seems to seep lube. Now by connecting, I mean I just pushed the tubing in as far as it will go. There seems to be some resistance before it seats and stops. You can see in the picture that there is no collar on the fitting like there is on other push-in connectors. Maybe it was pulled out or is secured by some other means. Or it could be that you're referring to some other place that I haven't seen yet.

Look up under the left hand side of the saddle between the table ways. There may be another lube manifold there that distributes oil to the table, saddle, and screws. it the tube doesn't fall back out when you pump oil, it is probably a push lock fitting.

Well after perusing some manuals of machines that are very similar to mine it appears the the fitting on the knee screw post is for grease. That leaves the two pieces of tubing really hanging. I'm now thinking that it was one line that was cut or parted somehow. Don't think I can reach up into the knee to replace the tubing entirely so I'm thinking about ways to splice it. I know that my car dealer used something like a stent to splice my windshield washer hose that had been chewed up by some rodent. Thinking about maybe soldering the seam on an appropriately sized roll pin and inserting that in the tubing using heatshrink tubing over that. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. :D

adamsgt....

47 views and no one can tell me what kind of lubricant to put in the pump? In all fairness the tech support at J&L couldn't tell me either. A search on their site for "spindle oil" did show some products.
Jerry, if you are still wondering about the oil tubes, maybe this will help give you an idea of what needs oil.
The 'squiggly' lines represent a randomly ground groove in the metal surfaces to help spread the oil around once it reaches the ways......pg

Lubricationpointsfrmtheoiler.jpg

Back