What's new
What's new

Online auction question

Luke

Hot Rolled
I'm thinking of bidding on a few items on an upcomming online auction put on by Hillpiper from Waterloo, Ia. Has anyone had any dealings with these folks in the past, any tips for my bidding and what do you think a Taft grinder like this would be valued at?
http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?hilpipre/24
Has anyone used one of these? I have a serious woodworking hobby with a few metal working machines in the mix and am thinking of this for sharpening planner blades, etc. I see they also have a nice K.O.Lee and a nice Brown & Sharp grinder but think it may go a bit high and be a bit more machine than I need.
http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?hilpipre/73

Thanks for the input.
Luke

Thay are selling for the DOD so everything will be on the up and up. The DOD is very strict on the paperwork and loading times and advance notice when your truck will be there. You will find most of the machines from the rock will be used hard and put up dirty. I would not bid on anything there with out looking it over in person first. I have bought a few machine tools from them but thay are not my first choose to shop for real good machines. Thay are some good deals there but thay are few and picked over by the machine tool dealers in the area.....Phil in Mt

Hilpiper used to come up here in St. Paul MN. area and run live auctions. And would he run ya. That was the old man, I don't think that he is working anymore. I still don't trust the outfit and will not go to any of their auctions, if I want to get beat up I can stay at home and talk to the wife. :(

Most online auctions go high. The machines that bring top dollar at a in person only sale often dont bring more but the stuff that is broke will go higher because of some idiot at home bidding over his computer like a big shot who does not know that it is broke or worn out. Do a search on this forrum for Charmilles EDM.

Also make absolutly sure to look it over BEFORE bidding. Make notes of the machines you want. If they come with tooling take a picture. when you come to get it you can make sure it is all there.

Luke:

The TP is a wonderful little machine - the photo looks identical to mine. I paid $2200 probably 8 years ago, but then I wanted it. Be nice if you could run it - costs about $1500 to rebuild the spindle from someone like Pope. These are all ball bearing travel and have a big hand lube pump underneath. I have used the tilting spindle feature. You did notice this one has no magnetic chuck?

The Brownie is a Micromaster, and will likely go high.

John

Back