What's new
What's new

OT - Anti Spatter Question

johnoder

Diamond
What is the water based white glop you paint on weldments as an anti spatter compound? Is this something dry you mix, or does it come with the water in it?

Thanks

John

Sounds like brazin flux. The anti spatter stuff I have is spay on aerosol for the work and gel goop (in blue or red)in a can for the tip. JR

john- I have heard of what you are talking about, but mostly for heat sink purposes- that is, I have seen a paste that you paint on a weldment, and it acts to reduce heat warpage.
I think I have seen it advertised in some of the free welding magazines I get- practical welding today, or one of those. I will dig thru some back issues and see if I can find a manufacturers name.

Thanks Gents for the input. I am referring to the stuff that is put on with a brush, is dead chalky white, and is supposed to make "buckshot" stick less when stick rod welding. I guessed that his was water mixed with Magnesium Silicate, but I may be all wet. I.E. I think I have even heard of it being referred to as "milk of magnesia". Maybe it is just an old East Texas custom.

John

Can you guys still get the trike derived based anti splatter in aerosols or are yours now water based?

For some reason even though trike has been banned here [ UK ] as well, the trike substitute spray is still available.

I don't care what anyone says 75% trike, 25% ATF makes the best cutting fluid there is.
OK so it has some side effects but from using 1/2 a teaspoon per day ???

The welding anti splatter spray really lives up to it's name. Spray it at wasps in the workshop and they fall out the air, dead, saves you having to 'splatter' them.

John S.

John S.

I did not know "bugs" were allowed there. I noted a complete lack of "window screens" in my visit to the south and midlands in 1987.

John

Oh yeah, "trike" is outta commission in the states. The scientists discovered it was cancer causing. Imagine that it took a scientist to determine it is cancer causing. I coulda told you that. So is gasoline, thats why we don't drink it.

I notice tap magic used to have "111-tric" in it. What is it about the stuff that helps with cutting metals? Just curious cause I thought I saw some locally. It really is nasty stuff, ya don't wanna breath it or let it touch your skin (absorbs real well).

My dad used to work for the phone company. He said they used the stuff straight outta the can onto a rag, soaking it. Used to clean "jute" off the cables real well. JR

I don't recall the brand name, but my welding supply store warned me about the aerosol anti-spatter spray might lead to bad welds. I think they were warning me about possible porosity. Now were they just heeding the lawyers or has someone experienced any problems with this spray and the integrity of welds?

Thanks,
-Art K

John,

We used to buy the white paint on stuff. Our suppliers tell us that it's no longer available. We've since gone to a spray on pink liquid that the welding guys tell me is pretty good. If you want a brand name, I'll have to find out.

JR

Art K: I don't ever spray the work to be welded with anti spatter. I only use it in the tip and on my welding table.

To be honest I don't get alot of spatter (I'm talkin about MIG, don't use flux core so I don't know bout that).

I ran down stairs and the brand I have today is Welco 1620 anti-spatter in a red can. JR

Thanks JRouche! It's true that I am doing stick welding and I've got a can, likely of the same thing. Anyway I was a little concerned after they told me that. I thought maybe I would spray it on and wipe off the area that would be the bead.

Mostly I don't care that much about spatter. If I have a tapped hole I just cover it or put the bolt into it to protect the threads.

Regards,
-Art K

The construction company I used to work with had a crew that did nothing but apply primer to every piece of new steel that came on the yard.I don't know what type of primer they used but you couldn't make arc weld splatter stick to it.It appeared to be some type of "red rust" primer.Just my half cent worth.

Back