What's new
What's new

OT: EPA ruling on import diesels

mobile_bob

Stainless
Well it has finally happened the EPA has banned the import of the infamous chinese changfa diesel and the lister clones from india.

I know this will delight many of you as anything blocked from china and india is just great in your minds, but...

It pisses me off to know end, i see it as another in a long chain of intrusions on my personal life, to say nothing of what it has done to those who have built their livelihood around the import and or manufacture around these engines.

i am with those that are deeply concerned about cheap chinese imports and all that, but to my knowlege there are NO alternatives built in this country for the single cylinder diesel, and with the EPA certification likely never will be.

i guess it is time to design a single cylinder based on oem parts, perhaps a detroit unit injector to elliminate the need for a high pressure timed injection system.

i don't know i am just enraged... :mad:

alternatives? thoughts? opinions?

bob g

Stephen:

now your talking, i would by a couple of the kits today if they were available. And obviously there are alot of other folks that will be looking for an alternative to the imports.

might be a buck to be made?

bob g

I dont see your problem. Im all for it!

Heres why...

We alone are responsible for our high manufacturing costs...

I know Im going to get flamed for this, but I feel union labor does have alot to do with this. The whole mentality of "thats not my job, Im not doing anything but you have to pay him to do that" totally killed american manufacturing. One thing that Asia has over us is the fact that thier workers take pride in thier product. They dont need a full staff of Q/C inspectors like we do, because workers at thier plants will take care of the problem instead of waiting for the quality control people to do it.

I buy american whenever I can, because I personally hate china. They undervalue thier currency by quite a bit so they can provide products so much cheaper than anywhere else, and it winds up killing manufacturing everywhere else. You guys are machinests, you should know this better than anybody else! ITS YOUR JOBS THAT ARE LEAVING! In fact, many are already gone, yet you still continue to buy tools and equipment from harbor freight. I understand that its hard to afford American made equipment, but it wasnt always this way. At one time this cheap equipment wasnt all that much cheaper, but people still wanted to save a few dollars here and there, so they bought it anyway. More profit for Chinese companies, less for US companies. As this cycle progessis, American made goods will either decrease in quality to keep the price the same or go up.

You know whats BS? Chinese companies that Rip off higher end Designs... Jiang Dong Motor company is a prime example of this. They build engines that are almost direct clones of Honda engines and even look like them, but sell them rediculously cheaper.

I avoid china at all costs possible, and will spend the $$$ and time to do so, Even if its not an american product.

Jim

Sir I beg to differ with you' I have seen the Ceo's of industerial companys give away the store when dealing with the unions , not backing the floor supervisor when union problems arise.Durring good times I have seen
companies bow to union demands and not stand their ground .We see golden retirement for Ceo's who bankrupt good solid companies while union workers and lower ranking supervisors loose jobs ,pensions,and health care. You don't demand quality work from workers or corporate officers.
then you say foreign workers have better work ettics. They all want what we have {had} a working class who felt like they can make a better life for their self...

rant over
walt 37

It is too bad that they are banning the import of these engines. I was seriously considering one to run a genset for the house. Beside the usefulness of such an engine, I like the novelty of having one of these slow moving beasts around. If EPA keeps up we will be back to pre industrial revolution ag based society.

-brian

Brian, we may be in a re-industrial revolution agrarian society anyway after we have sent all our money overseas.

It's about goddamn time this country get goin making some good diesels anyway - both big and small. People are so blinded by the allmighty dollar sign that they can't see what they're really doing is shooting themselves in the foot.

If the EPA banned them it's because their emissions suck, not because they're cheaper. How many of you guys on the west cost have totally dead lakes because of acid rain? We've got quite a few around here. What goes in the air in the "west" comes down here in the east and it's really taking a toll.

Let's thing of the big picture for a change. Just my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

Nick :cool:

Yes, I follow a forum on the 1 & 2 cyl diesels.
I was seriously considering a co-gen installation
using one of these designs.
It would have been an effort to 'control' rising
energy costs and basically aid survial....
It damn well figures Uncle Sam would throw a fit about this and use 'clean air' as the excuse to
pound the working class into the ground a bit further. Anything to take more money away from us, and the means to save it in living expenses...
Bastards.

I suppose IF I could make a bit of profit supplying parts or 'kits' for these units I'd be
shut down & thrown in jail quicker the the corner crack dealer....

dan k

What about a good Sterling cycle engine? There are so many good designs around, why has no one bothered to offer one for stationary service? As a person who has now weathered about 6 hurrucanes, I can tell you that three weeks after a storm, we were long on wood and very short on refined fuel of ANY kind, despite having laid in a 55 gallon drum. Gas or diesel was nowhere to be found for the buying.

As for the acid rain thing, small diesel engines had and continue to have NOTHING to do with that. You have to burn a high sulfur fuel to get that, and then release a few tens of millions of tons of the oxides from that fuel to make any difference. You can't buy that kind of diesel fuel at the pump. Only the big buyers like ship owners and railroads and power plants can even buy the stuff, or would want to as it has very low cetane rating and runs poorly in most small diesels ,though the Lister/Petter one-lungers might do fine on it, that's irrelevant since you can't get it. Many power plants were burning high-sulfur coal, which is much worse that low-grade diesel anyway.

Also, it turns out that acid rain is a far more complex problem than they use to acknowledge. There are important NATURAL sources for these acid precipitates which were formerly undrestimated in importance. Don't expect to see any improvements in those lakes any time soon.

http://www.junkscience.com/news3/lore.htm

Jimbo

Every lawnmower, weed eater, etc has to meet EPA standards.
A Chicom diesel should be exempt?

Yep, all the Unions fault, dang people will not work for Chinese wages.
I'll agree about higher management ruining a company.
They drive it into bankruptcy, cut saleries, EXECPT theirs, also give themselves a "retention" bonus to stay on and save the company!

A sad but true fact, manufactering, has always and always will migrated from country ot country, following cheap labor.

European and some Asian countries are facing the same problems that we do.

I guess that I will just have to add another project to the already too long list and build one of these creatures from scratch. I'm not sure why EPA is going after these engines. I can't believe that there are that many of them being imported, but I could be wrong. If EPA keeps going only the very wealthy will be able to buy new vehicles. My local John Deere dealer was telling me how much meeting the tier three requirements added to the cost of a new tractor, and they will have to meet the tier four requirements before very many more years pass. I guess that I will have to sit back and wait to see what technology will come up with. Most of the heavy diesels that I use took a step back to meet tier three in that the fuel economy went down to be able to meet the emision standards, so it costs me more to do the same amount of work plus the added cost to the price of the engine. All the new engines are all becoming electronically top heavy. I can't even begin to diagnose a problem because 99% of the time it is in the electronics. I guess it is one of my pet peaves. I used to be able to fix anything on the farm but now I can only fix the mechanical parts. Even the techs don't really fix them, all they do is plug it into the computer and start switching components. That is one of the things driving me to want one of these old style diesel engines I could fix it.

-brian

Back