OT -filling in a cistern? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When your "explorers" are grown and gone, you may wish that you had that water storage system. Take the time to design a kid-proof lid to sooth your soul. People pay good money for what you want to discard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those little todlers have grown up and moved out by now. He was 7 yrs old in 2004....

3. Likes digger doug, Garwood, bridgedog, tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ALthought a 16 year old thread. I Had one to fill. I filled it with large agregate. I chose not to drill holes in the bottom. My thoughts were that if I didn't die in a confined space drilling holes it held water, it would not cause issues, but if I caused it to not hold water or I died in it, it would be a problem...mostly for me.

Additionaly, end of times crap which is kinda marginally fitting now, someone may need that cistern. I would rather drag shit out of it and it still hold water than drag shit out of it and it leak then die trying to plug holes (mostly a problem for someone else). Covered with clay in our area, most water skims over top of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny old thread. Around here...cistern was a big barrel which collected drinking water from roof top gutters. In fact, that’s a big cause of all of the Yellow Fevers epidemics which plagued New Orleans for a hundred years. Finally, some time around the 1890’s....a smart epidemiologist from the City’s Board of Health put two and two together and realized that the mosquitos were the cause and the cisterns were the breeding ground of those buggers. Realize, every house had a cistern because the Sewerage and Water Board was a brand new entity. Indoor plumbing was in its infancy.
    Anyway, I was looking at old newspaper articles from that time. The smart epidemiologist put into law that every cistern owner must pour a cup of kerosene into their cistern regularly and the board of health sent droves of city inspectors out to police said new law. It made a huge difference. Just a little film of oil floating on top of the water kept the skeeters at bay.

Oh...to think of the pandemics of yesteryear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I fill my workshop toilet flush tanks and wash hands in a sink fed by water pumped from an underground cistern 100 years old or more, the alternative would be to buy metered water for this purpose, and that is expensive in business premises! It waters the plants, and feeds my pressure washer as well! It was put there for a purpose, don't destroy it, make it safe and use it!
    Phil

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone. Funny thread, I like it.