What's new
What's new

OT - Forklift sideshifters

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
What's the deal with sideshifters reducing the weight rating?

I can think of a couple ideas:

- mass farther forward of mast, meaning there's a larger/longer "load center" built in.

- the strength of the sliding "ways" on the carriage are the limiting factor

-Matt

I think its about the "offset" imposed by the sideshift on the load center. Kinda like the bull that ran to one side of my grandfathers farm truck once. Both the bull and the bed left the truck! :eek:

Any attachment hanging on the bare fork carriage becomes additional weight not calculated in the base capacity including the added weight of forks over 48" long. You also have to calculate into the formula the Lost load center (LLC)of the attachment to downrate the trucks carrying ability. Most all trucks are downrated on capacity even with no attachments when the forks are above 153" and restrict the forward tilt so the mast can't extend too far forward and tip over.To be OSHA current, all this data should be on the ID plate but most of the time it is omitted for some unknown reason.

and restrict the forward tilt so the mast can't extend too far forward and tip over.
The main thing that is restricted these days compared to the older trucks is the rearward tilt. Annoys me too, as I often would like to tilt back further than "allowed" by the stops on the tilt cylinders. On some you can circumvent this but on my Linde it would be pretty difficult.

Here's what inspired this.

My truck is a C500-30 (3000# basic capacity as I understand it) which is derated to around 2400# on the nameplate because of the sideshifter.

Here is the best example of what I have (with side shifter).

I looked up this one which is a C500-50, basic 5000# capacity, but is derated to 2700#.

So...supposing I picked up one like this, by buying 2000# of basic frame and structure and counterweight, I would only be 300# ahead on capacity.

Thoughts?

My Toyota 5000 pounder has a side shift on a 22ft mast.It is rated full load to a certain height and downrated above it.It had factory fitted limiting sleeves on the tilt cylinders which were a PIA when using extension forks.I think they were fitted to restrict the tilt back angle with the extended mast as now without them the mast is half over the canopy when tilted fully back.This truck also has dual wheels fitted for extra stability.
regards,Mark.

The eBay C500-50 should be downrated to perhaps 4,400 lbs or so with the sideshift, not 2,700. Apparently when the truck was new it was equipped with one of those very heavy rotating paper roll gripper attachments, hence the curious rating.

In my experience, even the newer trucks will lift their basic capacity at 24 inch load center even with a sideshift. My 2003 Linde 6,000 lb forklift will lift 6,000 lbs even with sideshift and fork positioning and longer than normal (i.e.heavier) forks. My 1995 CAT 12,500 lb truck will lift 14,000 lbs easily, without tipping, even though it has side shift, and is actually downrated to 11,700 lbs !

"Apparently when the truck was new it was equipped with one of those very heavy rotating paper roll gripper attachments, hence the curious rating"

Don, what clued you into that? The fact that the side-shifter isn't hooked up, or something on the nameplate?

I agree with Don on the capacity. Clark usually moves down a line on the plate and adds another cap. rating for an attachment and it shows a 23" load center which is a good indicator that it was a 46" paper roll or some other object.

I read that nameplate as meaning that the rating is 2700 pounds if the load is 189" off the ground. The capacity wit hthe load close to the ground would be 5000#.

Why would you be looking to buy a Clark? I've never had any luck with a Clark and a couple of years ago I cut up with extreme prejudice our last Clark forklift.

Ahem, I see nothing wrong with the basic design of the machine. If I can fix one, I can probably fix another one. Spares are available and very thorough documentation to boot.

What was the issue that soured you on the other Clark?....stating that they are *all* bad generically without evidence isn't a good generalization IMHO.

-Matt

Don, what clued you into that?
I just know stuff ! ;)

Actually, being around gazillions of forklifts at forklift wholesalers over the years has shown me there is, or at least was, a HUGE market for forklifts with rotating paper roll grippers..tens of thousands of them out there...so that's a very common attachment and a common reason for reduced capacity on the nameplate.

Re Clarks, I've had a few Clarks over the years and had no problems with them...seemed fine to me. Never had an orange one though...I hear the orange ones have head gasket problems..something to do with the way the paint was slathered on I think... ;)

I had a lot of customers that preferred orange to that monkey vommit green Clark was using as standard equipment.As with all lift truck manufacturers not all Clark product was great, you had to be lucky to get the right series, but that is a whole other story.

You guys and your forklifts.

We all know what you are doing with them when no one is looking...

forklift.jpg

:eek: :D

Dan, cool....Old School :cool:

Interestingly, the "rustoleum rebuild" appears to work in the forklift market.

Old grimy stuff gets few bids but freshly painted ones even with the most common transgression...white from the center hubs on the wheels *all over* the black cushion tire....seem to command top dollar.

A Custom Flame Job, hoo boy hold on to your wallet because the dollars are gonna be FLYIN'. :D

-Matt

We all know people buy with their eyes, On ebay thats all you have. BTY the data plate on the second forklift is being misread. It is 5000LBS rated on a single mast(which is std) with a triple mast at 189" 2700LBS at 23 inch CG. Thats 16.5 feet. Now shift that 2700 6 inches to the left with air tires. You think your in a rowboat on a windy day. We use our forklift primarly to lift boxed motorcycles to the second floor. 14 feet up, it does rock a bit.

my wheels don't slow me down

Back