What's new
What's new

OT- lets see your shop fridge...

My shop fridge is really a chest freezer. It has an aftermarket thermostat to hold higher temps. It's at 64degrees right now, just right for fermenting beer. I'm brewing up 8 gallons of Imperial Porter. In the next few days I'll make a Fuller's London Porter clone and some Hefe Weizen. I think the next batch will be a Belgian something or other. I got back from Afghanistan 2 weeks ago and I'm on Terminal Leave, sittin' around the house relaxing.

My shop fridge is my shop. My garage shop is unheated so when it is -30 I don't try to run the machines in there since it is hard on the bearings. I do all my work in the basement shop then.

I heard that International Harvester makes a good frigde.
And Allis - Chalmers had a full appliance line as well.
Ours is a 40's era GE still plugging away. You know the ones with a latch that's banned and the little ice box up in the corner. Haven't seen the inside of that freezer box for quite some time...it's pretty much a solid block of ice. It has a nice machine tool gray finish with a red kick panel. Nice and industrial looking.

My shop fridge is really a chest freezer. It has an aftermarket thermostat to hold higher temps. It's at 64degrees right now, just right for fermenting beer.
Hey, sounds like me. Cept mine is in the house and my fermenting and Lagering temps are abit lower. I can ferment the ale in a spare room in the mid 60's.

No way would I ever put the fridge in the garage though, too much of a space hog... :D

This is my shop fridge...Holds eight units of my favorite canned beverage, whatever that may be..
JRouche

fridge.jpg

My shop fridge is International Harvester. A 1953 model, it has a foot pedal door release still works great.It must have been top of the line. It has a heated butter tray in the door and has a defrost mode on the dial.

Re IH refridgerators, there was one on the set of the TV show Friends. I have read that it worked great and the crew used it to keep their lunches.

Nick :cool:

Oy, there's tough one for the priority side of my brain...beer...tools...beer...tools. Many decisions in life are easy for me, but this one...yikes.

BTW, I've got a beer ..er.. shop fridge. Not a cool one though, got my eye open. More of a dorm room fridge. Reliability is an issue when beer is at stake.

Tools

I was unable to edit my previous post and add a photo....
freezer-vi.jpg

Anyway, here it is. The two glass carboys have Imperial Porter. It's a recipe I saw in a magazine a couple of years ago. It will have about 14%ABV. It gets that high by adding champagne yeast and slowly feeding it honey.

The plastic bucket is a clone of Fuller's London Porter. It's in a bucket because I'm going to add raspberries. That would leave a hell of a mess in a jar with a tiny opening. I've also heard that fermentation will "take off like a rocket" when I add the fruit. I can just loosen the lid of the bucket.

I can't wait until these are ready to drink. I got lots of equipment for making better beer while I was deployed, uncluding a keg setup with 3 5-gallon soda kegs. I also found a used tap tower with 6 taps.....so now I need 3 more kegs :D

My new lathe can even help. I'm going to make my own grain mill.

Back