Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello all,

I found this thread apparently a couple years now after RJ died, after finding his indexer on Oxtoolco's youtube page.

I don't know if I've ever posted on here before I created a name many years ago and over the years my searches as I worked my way up to a tool-and-die machinist that never got an apprenticeship, I have found many of my searches for various things ended up leading me to Practical Machinist.

I never thought I would find a device that actually did this it was kind of a Holy Grail item for me to find that it is physically possible with a mechanical device to do what this device does. I plan to do gearcutting for astronomical orrerys and other things, spent a couple years in Oklahoma learning watchmaking before I returned to machining to work my way up to where I am now.

I work mainly with EDMs, and I was blown away by discovering 3R for the first time at my current job, something I know now is long old hat to many of you. To find a man that inspired the inventor of 3R, heads of Starrett, Wayne Moore of Foundations Of Mechanical Accuracy and so many others, answering questions on how he created it all, it's one of the most incredible reads I've ever had.

I get that RJ is gone now, and my only gripe over the years is so many of the posts I've found no longer have pictures, often making the idea involved impossible to ever understand from description alone.

I've been to the American Precision Museum this year, and handled Thomas Edison's original gauge blocks given to him by Henry Ford, touched the first micrometer ever made, and met the man who still runs Waltham Machine Works from what is left in his home on Cape Cod, all on the same trip.

The trip really impressed upon me the importance of American machine tool and watchmaking history, and now I find this, which to me, is an incredible story that should be preserved in a museum.

My question-

Is there any way, any way at all to bring back all these pictures RJ and others posted, because without them here, so much knowledge is lost forever. I'd kill to see pictures of how his setup to make the molds of his indexer were done, but reading it all, like so many other threads, the pictures are lost, and with it, so much history.

It's probably futile, but after seeing what I've seen this year alone, I refuse to just let more history die unnoticed.

Does anyone have any pictures from this massive thread saved, that they can share? Did anyone archive this before it was all lost?

Please post here, or PM me.

2. Likes Kyle Smith, Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I cannot be of any help
    But I totaly agree
    If it is ever possible to get those pictures back ???
    Anybody knows ??
    RJ deserved that

Peter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do have some of the pictures that RJ posted. I'll see if I can post them in the next few days. Unfortunately, many of the pictures, mine included, used on this site were hosted by photobucket years ago. They changed their policy, so those photos can't be shared to other sites and I think they make you pay for a subscription in order to view them. When they did that, I went into my account and deleted every picture and video and then deleted the account. I didn't store them there for those jackasses to charge people to view them. I really need to look through some of my old posts and add the pictures back in. In the meantime, I'll see what I can do about adding some to this post. RJ sounded like a great guy and I wish I would have had the chance to talk with or meet him.

5. Likes 3512B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oliverdude View Post
    In the meantime, I'll see what I can do about adding some to this post. RJ sounded like a great guy and I wish I would have had the chance to talk with or meet him.
    That would be great!

RJ was a remarkable man and designer, I was one of the people pestering him to write a memoir/"how to" book. We lost a manufacturing luminary when he died.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Find the threads you're interested in and go to web.archive.org and explore those threads.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there. Very interesting thread, I like come and read it. Thanks