OT- What if gooseneck ball has to be behind axle ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting old thread, I thought I'd weigh in. First I completely agree with smootz. Ideal location is just ahead of the rear axle. 4 or 6" likely doesn't make much difference but the key is that the load is always ahead of the axle under all conditions. If installed directly above the axle sitting in a level shop, under certain dynamic conditions it will effectively be behind the axle slightly. This alone is not the end of the world, but the alternating between the two will be a less "stable" condition than insuring that the front axle is always sharing some of the load. Very similar to insuring a bumper pull always has tongue load. You load a bumper pull to achieve 10-15% TW so that dynamically it's NEVER 0% or negative.

As has been mentioned many GN trailers are designed differently than bumper pulls. Horse trailers in particular place the axles very far back, resulting in stable towing conditions, but high tongue weights. Campers can be similar, but neither are prone to be loaded vastly incorrectly, which is good. This is also likely why trucks might be rated for less with a GN trailer, because the truck is likely carrying much more tongue weight and definitely more front axle load.

Placing the GN ball 1' behind the rear axle will likely be more comfortable than the neutral position because it is more stable, but it will be unloading the front axle vs loading it. But as has been mentioned, every bumper pull trailer does this to an even greater extent until a WDH is added. As such, while there may be an issue with a heavy tongue horse trailer or camper, it might be a complete none issue if the trailer is able to be (and is) loaded more like a bumper pull. That would be to ensure a reasonable (~800-1000lbs) tongue weight is always on the truck, but not so much tongue weight that it really unloads the front axle, or overloads the rear (every pound of weight transferred from the front axle ends up on the rear). With a 12' flat bed there's probably room to load something like a lathe up by the cab in front of the GN to get some weight back on the front axle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    Now I have the gooseneck 12' flatbed problem.

But a good problem to have.

I'll figure it out..

Carl
    You can't have both, big flatbed and goose neck hitch.
    Unless you want to add length to the gooseneck hitch.

Chop that truck:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gedc0510.jpg   gedc0511.jpg