What's new
What's new

OT- What kind of watch do you wear?

rivett608

Diamond
Since all the folks here are quite mechanically inclined and watches are mechanical little marvels, at least some were or are. What kind of watch do you wear? and does it reflect your interest in machines? do you have a rugged one for the shop or wear something disposable?........ and just to be in fantasy land, what would you like to wear if cost didn't matter?

I'll go first.....

I wear a Frederique Constant quartz classic.... why? I like the engine turned face.... I have a clean shop so I can even wear while I work... there is rarely anything dirty in my shop...... and what would I want... a George Daniel's but would happy with a Breguet.... again because of the engine turned face..... like buying a car based on the color

I just look at the Pager, kept rotting out wristwatch bands from the coolant. doing anything heavy " hulked out " my wrists enough that I usually popped one of the pins out and it fell off anyway. I know a lot of folks use their cell phone like I use the pager. 1 less thing to spend money on. My guess is that in 20 years watches will have a significantly smaller market.

I wear a Howard railroad chronometer seies 11,
which despite being nearly 100 years old keeps time to a minute a month and never gives any trouble even after I pull it apart every few years soak it out in methylene chloride and re-oil it with the much despised WD40!!

Charles.

I have a Rolex Submariner that I used to wear all the time. It's damn near bullet proof weld splatter won't stick to the crystal. But since I started carrying a cell phone that has become my new watch :D

I wear an Omega Seamaster given to me by my wife almost 20 years ago. Fortunately it's got a heavy bezel and a sapphire crystal and so is pretty much indestructable. The watch is nice in that it's an analog looking watch but has all the normal digital stuff visible in the back of the face. I have had to have the electronics replaced once or twice after damage - from water of all things, you'd expect a watch with the name "Seamaster" to be a bit more waterproof.

A three-year old $7 Target (pronounced tar-je')Special. And I only wear it when I need to be some place at a particular time. (The day after I retired, the strap on my watch broke -- I figured that was a sign that retired folk do not need a watch!)

(I only installed a clock in my shop last year.)

I can't stand to have a watch or any jewelry on my body, it's too distracting or something. I do have really cool pocket watch that I got from my father. An Elgin "Slimline". It's gorgeous inside. I also have a Fossil watch that I picked up at a garage sale that is see through. No face, you can see all the works inside. Interesting, but not much good if you have to see what time it is.

Tim in D

Don't wear any.Can't remmember last I had one on.I do remmeber that I stopped wearing watches cuz I kept losing the dam things.
Have a custom Ebel that dad gave me as a gift but never wear it.

Haven't seen my ideal watch yet.I like suttle and most watches are too gaudy (IMHO Ofcourse).

Normally for work I wear a quartz red faced Tag Heuer Sel.
For the rare occasions I wear a vintage 17 jewel Tudor.
For going out at night I wear a Tag, Kirium Chrono.

Yes, I have a watch fetish. I am still looking for THE Patek Phillipe. ("the" meaning the one I can afford :D )

I am also looking for a Rolex Sub, but that will come when I hit certian company sales goals.

Doug.

I usually don't wear a watch, but for state
occasions I will put on a pocket watch.

When my dad and I were clearing out his father's
house there was an old filing cabinet rusting
in the basement. I could not get it open but
at the time my wife was looking for one so I
said to throw it in the truck because maybe I
could get it useable.

There was something rattling in the bottom.

It was an old silver elgin pocket watch. My
grandfather was in inveterate tinkerer and no
doubt he was going to look at it 'sometime.'
Well sometime never came.

So I dismantled it and cleaned it, and it runs
fine. I stuck a piece of ships chain on it
and an old hunk of brass to use as a fob.

Jim

I've got an Elgin for meetings and such but normally the cell phone does the trick. while in the shop NO Jewelry. First few months here one of the guys was goofing off in the weld shop and some splatter landed on his wedding ring. Did you know gold is a great conductor of heat? Well after I saw the skin peel I decided no rings in the shop.

I don't wear one. Either I am near a clock or I don't need to know what time it is. I don't have a cell phone either. Same theory.

I spent too many years accounting for my time, running by the clock and always being "reachable". First thing I did when I quit Xerox 9 years ago was change that. When I worked for them I took up deep wilderness canoeing as a pastime, first because I like it but also for another almost as important reason. They would constantly call me at home when I was on vacation and ask if I could "just go in for a couple of hours" to look after some "extremely urgent" problem with a customer.

I became pretty sick of that in short order. When I was on a canoe trip my wife would take great pleasure in telling them that I was at least a three day paddle from the nearest telephone and, no, she didn't even know exactly where I was and neither did any other person on earth except who I was traveling with.

I'm never putting on another wristwatch or buying another cellphone.

I either wear the Seiko that my parents gave me when I graduated high school in 1974, or my Dad's everyday Pulsar that Mom game me when he passed away last year. Mom still has 2 watches that Dad got on his 25th and 50th years of service. I'll end up with those one of these days.

Timex Indiglo/s. I like being able to push the stem in to see what time it is when I know the alarm is going to go off fairly soon. And I can't see the alarm clock without my glasses on anyway. Plusar Railroad Watch for more formal occasions like work (step and fetch-it for a funeral home). But all are the traditional dial. I can't stand digital watches.

Hello,
I'm in between watches kinda. My old "Dollar" watch's bail failed finally, so I've been wearing (very carefully) my grandfather's Hamilton 992 21 jewel. I hate wearing it for everyday events, but I don't have any other watches. I've got a new watch thats going to be delived today by Fedex.

My dream watch would be a custom, handmade skeleton watch that was key-wind in a gold hunter case, with a hourly chime. The name wouldn't mater, just as long as it was hand made by a master.

Thanks
Richard

I don't wear a watch in the shop. My favorite is my Omega SpeedMaster but I have a number of automatic watches. I'm pretty fond of a small collection of Russian automatics just for their clunky industrialness.

I don't have a dream watch selected but it would be automatic, hand made and expose the movement to view. My final criteria would be that it would have to be a watch that is recognized as a superlative example of mechanical art. I define "mechanical art" as beautiful, engineering excellence.

Joe

Back