OT- What kind of watch do you wear? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a RolAx from a guy in Times Square in NY city paid $5.00 said it was genuine.

Jackmo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, Mr. Rivett,

How much do you think this one is worth?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a Wenger Swiss Army watch. It has had four wristbands and two crystals, but has survived combat and the shop enviorment for over ten years. The Tritnium numbers and hands are real nice in the dark when you cant use a light to or it will give your position away, even the Timex Indiglos will show up as bright light on night vision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear an old inexpensive Casio Alarm Chrono with a homemade Velcro strap.

It's the lightest watch I could find that has a stopwatch feature, and it stands up to occasional water dunking. Oh, and it was inexpensive.

Roger

"...weld splatter won't stick to the crystal."

Scott, why don't you spring for a pair of welding gloves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a Pocket Watch every day- to work or for "going out". I have two of them. Both have are Hamilton 992 Railroad watches. The Hamilton 992 is perhaps the most popular of the Railroad Watch movements. It is a heavy-duty mechanical movment with engine-turned "plates". It is a movement that was meant for railarod service, so was built to stand a bit rougher service. The movements are marked" Adjusted 5 positions". These movements are also lever-set: you have to unscrew the bezel & crystal to access a clutch lever to engage the stem for setting the time. They are open-face cases, as was standard on railroad watches.

One of my two Hamilton pocket watches has a gold-filled case that was original with the watch. This watch dates to the 1920's and was a gift to me from my buddy- a long time locomotive engineer. It is what he wears every day.

The second Hamilton is what I refer to as my "Shandaken Rolex" (Shandaken being the town I live in and the town the watch case was made in). I also refer to this watch as an "Original Bolsetzian". Ed Bolsetzian, a tool and diemaker, designed and made a total of ten (10) special watch cases out of stainless bar stock and fitted Hamilton 992 works to them. He did this in 1995. Ed Bolsetzian was about 83 years old when he designed and made up that batch of ten watch cases and fitted the movements. Ed Bolsetzian had a small machine shop in his house- a Southbend 9" Model A lathe and a Bridgeport mill. The Southbend 9" lathe had been rescrpaed by Ed and was a jewel. Ed bought the Bridgeport new in 1972 when he retired from regualr employment. He boasted that he was the only person, other than someone at the factory, to ever run the Bridgeport. Ed machined the cases for the Hamilton watches out of stainless bar stock, cutting fine threads in the bezel and back cover, and making a neat bail. He milled finger grooves in the lands on the back cover and bezel. It is Ed's answer to the Rolex "Oyster".

Ed normally made fixtures for grinding prisms for medical optics, and built the watch cases as a special project. I have number 5 of 9 of that series of watches, signed by Ed, inside the back of the case. Ed has number 1. Ed, when he was making that series of watch cases, called up 9 of us in the area who were either railroaders or machinists and asked us if we wanted a Hamilton 992 watch in a case he'd be making. I said "Yes", so have my "original Bosletzian". I think I paid about 300 bucks, total. For that, I got a good, serviced Hamilton 992 movement in the case Ed made. Ed kept promising to make another run of watch cases, but never did. Ed is now 93 years old, and recently disposed of his shop. He and his wife had no children. Ed's wife had mvoed into a senior citizen's home. Ed was going downhill, and knew he could not hang on in the house much longer. No one wanted to seem like a vulture, so no one asked hima bout his tools. One guy, who was helping Ed with daily stuff like dressing and bathing in, did ask and got nowhere. Being a cantankerous oldtimer, Ed simply called a shop he had once worked for and told them to bring a truck and haul his shop contents away as quick as they could. Perhaps Ed simply wanted the parting from his tools to be as quick as possible. Knowing Ed, he probably tossed any sketches and tooling he had for the watch cases. I have a few mikes and odds and ends that Ed sold me years ago, and there are nine of us running aroung wearing "Original Bolsetzians", so Ed's and Hamilton watch's craftsmanship live on.

I wear the "Original Bolsetzian" most days. sometimes, I will wear the other Hamilton 992 int he gold-fill case. IMO, a Hamilton railroad watch in an "Orginal Bolsetzian" case is as good as any Rolex. My younger brother attempted to break me of wearing a pocket watch by actually giving me a Rolex "Oyster" a few years ago. I NEVER wore it. It sat in the dresser drawer.

Interestingly, I sent my younger brother a gift for his fortieth birthday of a Hamilton 992 railroad watch. That was in 1994. It is in the plain gold-filled case. I bought it from Ed Bolsetzian, who cleaned it & regulated it. My younger brother keeps that Hamilton in a bell jar on display. His everday watch is a heavy Rolex with a gold case and extra gold work and engraving done by a gunsmith engraver in Hulet, Wyoming. It is funny how tastes can vary so widely in one family.

Ed charged me 300 dollars for the Hamilton 992 in the plain case that I gave my yunger brother. ed, having charged us each 300 bucks for the "original Bolsetzians", wasn;t making anything monetarily. I suspect Ed, at age 83, wanted 9 of us to have a gift of his craftsmanship to remember him by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rolex GMTII, surived and continued to work everywhere i've taken it.

weld spatter will stick to the stainless, however...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, Mr Evan

Give me a hint... who made it?... if someone like Harrison, as they say on the master-card commercial.... "priceless"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the Harrison H5, the one he finally won the prize money with, eventually. Even Mr. Gates can't afford it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swiss Army "Centinel"; all stainless steel. I always take it off when I'm working in the shop.
    Some years ago I would occasionally wear a friend's Rolex Submariner for a week or so while he would go on binges, so he wouldn't be able to hock it. That was a nice watch, but I don't want to spend that much money just to know the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a Seiko Divers watch that I bought in 1980 and and it has gone through hell and back and still looks very new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe,
    Could you post some pics of your "Original Bolsetzian". I find a story like that to be fasinating! That would be a cool gift to receive from a great friend and master craftsman! You need to document the story so your grandkid's grandkids will know the history of it, (I have no doubt it'll be keeping time then, just as well as it does now!), when they take possesion of the watch!

Thanks
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't worn a watch since I retired. Others seem to take care of that detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw searching for Longitude on the discovery channel years ago. Found it interesting ordered the book and the video. Made me think of my grand fathers old watch. Talked my mother out of it and had it fixed. South Bend Studebaker which I wear on special occasions. Of course you can't have just one of something you like --- I now have just about the same number of pocket watches as Rivett 608 has height gages. Daily wearer, Hamilton 992, double sunk Montgomery dial ---how can you be mechanically inclined and not love old pocket watches ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"weld spatter will stick to the stainless, however..."

Doesn't anybody wear welding gloves?

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I have worn a swatch for the past several years. I bought my first one on a flight to Germany. It was an automatic mechanical. Kept good time. That one finally died, so my mother gave me one she picked up in Europe. That one was a auto quartz, the kind that mechanically charges a super capacitor and uses quartz as the reference. I swear, it was the most accurate watch I've ever owned. Within 30 seconds for several years. I'd only touch it to correct the date indicator, and usually I wasn't around a clock when I set the date. I even bought another, it wasn't as accurate, I must have gotten lucky with the first one. The band has broken as of late, so I'm not using it right now. I've always wanted, as a shop project, to make my own case for the movement, as most Swatches are plastic.

Swatch's parent company, ETA makes movements for a lot of watch companies. I have an appreciation for the nicer complicated watches, I keep an eye out for Wakmann on ebay. I really just want a good reliable accurate watch. I would like a chronometer because sometimes they are handy. I know a cheap casio would fit the bill, but I really like analog. I also prefer batteryless watches. I have small wrists, so that also kinda limits me. I don't have a cell phone, and I'm trying to avoid getting one.

In the shop, I'd always put my watch on my apron, as I don't like things on my fingers and wrists, especially around the spindles.

My boss is a watch collector, he has some nice ones, like Rolex and Omega. Too rich for my blood, but I am fond of Omega. Looked at the Speedmaster one time just for fun, $1500 at the time. Way too big for my wallet and my wrist. I'm too cheap for most of the boutique watches.

I do look at the Russian mechanicals. I really want one with a 24hr. dial. The Seiko mechanicals are also on my watch list (no pun intended). But I must confess, am fond of things that have "swiss made" on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out this watch I wear. Its solar, its atomic, its fool proof, water proof to 200 meters, Ive never had to adjust it for any reason obviously. Quite the bang for the buck.

http://www.weatherconnection.com/mfg...610134&mfgno=2

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

None....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a St. Moritz Nereos dive watch,, very durable, attractive, military style, with a complete dive computer for bottom time, depth, temp, alarm, all the goodies. Saves buying a separate dive computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm an enthusiastic watch junkie & I have a couple of favorites. Like some have mentioned, I don't favor gaudy "jewelery" watches. Skagen is my favorite brand. Modern lines, ultra-clean design, and extremely thin. I find the thin-ness to be very desirable as both a shop guy and a motorcyclist, they don't get caught on stuff. I have three of them, and they seem to be pretty durable as well.

My other favorites are an analog Indiglo Timex that has a very plain face, reminiscent of a school room clock, and another Timex "Ironman" that is digital, waterproof, and will do splits & laps. I use that when I swim laps because I'm so nearsighted that I can't see the second hand on the 3' diameter clock on the wall at the swiming pool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On special occasions my Dad's Illinois Bunn Special pocket watch. Cheapy Target thing for everyday. What I'd like though is the automatic Swatch they stopped making a few years ago. I like how they took this formerly super complicated and expensive mechanism and made it into a $80.00 product