OT- What kind of watch do you wear? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with zgoo.

Seiko Diver's watch. Bought this one around 1990, perfect time, one new battery. Don't wear it in the shop. There's another one just like it (bought it 1984) laying on the bottom of the Hudson River near Newburgh, NY, probably keeping perfect time [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a Baume & Mercier that my wife bought me when we got married. After wrecking a bunch of leather bands she got me a nice stainless steel band that holds up nicely. I wear it every day.

This is basically my watch but I also have a second hand:

I would love to own a George Daniels but for that kind of money I think I would prefer a 5-axis CNC machine!

Cheers,
    Bob Welland

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A swatch made for the Olympics in Athens 2004. Why, it was the only Swatch without any hour or minute numbers when tho old Swatch didn't work anymore. I have worn Swatches without numbers for the last 15 to 20 years.
    /Niels

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if this is true anymore but 20 years ago a lot of people in NYC used to stop and ask you for the time. My friend had a swatch with a matte black dial and slightly gloss black hands and numbers. You could read it OK if the light was right. He used to get a kick out of having someone ask him for the time and then just showing them his watch...got some really funny reactions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same as Racer Al, a Timex Indiglo with the 24/wall clock face. Before that, and still have it, a Rolex GMT Master. The Rolex breaks down about every two years,of its 25 yr life,and is the most reliably inaccurate watch ever. In my experience, Rolex is highly overrated, but I may have a lemon. The Timex is 5 yrs old and I've only ever put a battery in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a Wenger Swiss Army chrono. It's large enough so I can see it without glasses and pretty tough. The most important watch I ever had was a Waltham American Watch Co. 1859 19 jewel in it's original case. This was one of only a handfull made and tested to compete with the Nasuha Watch Co. watches that were expected to take over the American high-end watch market. A very beautiful movement made to world class standards of the day. It is now in the collection of an advanced waltham collector.
    hms50

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roger
    "Doesn't anybody wear welding gloves?"

yep, lesson learned. quick mig tacks w/mechanics gloves (no gauntlet).
    tiny file to knock down the ball, barely noticeable. nice reminder to take it off sometimes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife has two of the Swatch Atlanta Olympic watches she wants to sell or trade, one is still new in box. Where should she advertise them? Do they have any real value?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Invicta Diving Watch. Swiss case, Mikota Japanese self winding movement. Nice watch. Got it off of http://www.woot.com for something like $60, normally about $200. Good to 200m... Too bad I cant swim!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife gave me a Victorinox which I wore thru about 8 bands in 10 years of dating & marriage and scratched the crystal nearly to the point where it couldn't be seen thru and finally I suppose a deep scratch was enough to crack the crystal, pieces of the crystal fell inside and jammed the hands .

Sent it off to an authorized Victorinox service center in Miami, only to have one of those pesky hurricanes hit right there...but it survived and came back.

I had to somewhat retire the Victorinox in the meantime, now I have a cheapie Timex Expedition analog, I do like the Indiglo feature...very nice.

As you can tell, I don't exactly treat them with the greatest respect [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Hamilton 940 pocket watch. John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay for everyday. A Hamilton 950 23 jewel Railroad watch in a solid gold case for special occasions. A Rolex stainless and gold Date Just is in the safety deposit box. I wore the Rolex for about thirty years, but did not want to wear it in the shop. Too much trouble to wind and set it after leaving off for several days. I paid $268 for it in Switzerland around 1970. They were $360 in the states back then. Thousands now. The Seiko was half price at the Seiko outlet store and is rugged. It goes to sleep after three days of laying around. It will "wake up" and go to the right time when you shake it. Keeps great time.

I have dad's Hamilton 992 that he used when working for the old Atlanta, Birmingham, and Coast Railway.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't worn a watch since my pup ate my timex ironman. Never found a reason to replace it really. But one of these days I'm going to buy a southbend pocketwatch, those are neat, with jeweled(or engine turned) parts, exposed jewel bearings and gears you can see in the back. Very interesting watches. I understand there are lots of pocketwatches like this but this is the only one I have seen. It's too bad that my grandfathers watch from his days with the railroad has been long missing.

Seiko kinetics are pretty cool too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will wear anything from cartoon character talking watches to a junghans mega which has a radio transmitter built in that is set to the bureau of time standards. The antenna is in the band. It will give you perfect time to the second and will automatically change to the time zone that you are in. Great for setting all your other clocks and watches and very classy looking.

By the way, those of you that may have any interest in watches or clocks should check out the NAWCC website. They are always looking for new members

Also--someone mentioned a hamilton 992. A hamilton 992B is the easiest watch in the world to restaff just in case you want to try it yourself. It is held in by friction and is therefore very easy to remove the broken one ane to install a new one.

Markus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gave up on watches when cell phones became cheaper than a practical watch (less than 100.00)
    Up until then I wore one in the shop not good practice I know but handy for several reasons. Regardless of what kind I had the crystal or face always ended up either cracked or with a gouge in it from wearing it in the shop. When I retire no watches just daytime and night time period. I will probably ditch the cell phone too. Boy, I can't wait.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Casio twin resist with a dial, not digital. Pretty darn sturdy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for casual wear and even work, I was wearing a cheap Kmart plastic special - bought it 5 years ago for $9 - beat the hell out of it in the shop, yard, etc. and the band and pins finally broke after I caught it on something.

btw: many years ago I bought a 99 cent plastic cheapie calculator watch - it lasted two years and I wore it in a job shop every day

I have a half decent Bulova self winding and a Pulsar Chronograph - I just can't relate to spending big bucks on a watch (rather waste it on machines) but wouldn't mind getting a Breitling (spelling?)if I win the lotto

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watch collecting and repair is one of my hobbies.
    Generally I'll wear a slim longines pocket watch as I put in a new balance staff and it fits well in most pockets, as for wrist watches, there's a ww2 helvetia and an older waltham.

J Grainger

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Casio G-shock for working and a Wenger for going out. Similar to this one, but with luminous numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wear a Seiko Divers watch that I bought in 1980 and and it has gone through hell and back and still looks very new.

Sounds very familiar...I had a machine that was needing a look evey 20-90 minutes, depended on the process I ran on it. Therefore, I wanted a rotating bezel.
    After being sick of the look of the hanhard labratory stopwatch and the sound it made(it´s huuuuge! And it´s loud, so you can count along, which drives you nuts if you sit at your desk and try to focus on a problem), I bought a Seiko from a guy who just came back from Japan.
    Good, reliable, water and coolant proof up to 200 meters.
    It´s got radioluminescent hands and figures. I also like the bewildered look people give me when I explain them that radioactivity is o.k. with me, as long as it´s properly contained and cared for, as an example as in this watch. Usually, they think I try to lure them into a false story.
    Besides, it has a date and day and the days are in german. I like the classic look. I like the stainless wristband. I like the ruggedness, both physical but also in a chemical aspect.
    I like the way it feels because of it´s 134,6g weight. And I found more than one faulty labscale with this watch.
    Cheers,
    Johann