What's new
What's new

Plans and casting kits

green frog

Cast Iron
I'm sure I have seen an American company offering plans and casting kits for machine tools and accessories, but when I did a search, all I came up with was the one in the UK. While I have nothing against our British brethren, I was wondering if anyone has a closer company they can recommend? I am on the East Coast (in VA.) but of course if the company has a website that is fairly immaterial.
TIA and Happy New Year,
the Green Frog

:P

Were you by chance looking for model machine tools and accessories?

If so run a search on PM Research - they have many of the basic machine tools in miniature casting kits for a turn of the century (last one) over head belt-drive shop.

Oh - just looked it up and the site is at:

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/

Mike, near Chicago

I have always heard of "amazing things done by casters in the Pacific Northwest"... If I had to guess, that would be more than one. A few emails to leading metal dealers and to university metalurgy departments would probalby get you further on track...

Jerry

Thanks to Scott t. for the site about cast iron lathe acessories. Looks like good stuff for my South Bend. Has anyone used the T slotted slide mentioned on the site for the South Bend?

Cass,

I have built the t-slot cross slide for my 11" Logan lathe. The casting is absolutely top quality and machines beautifully!!!! (Usual disclaimers.) I teach machine shop at a local vocational school and compared the cross slide to the cross slides on the 10" South Bend lathes I have in my school shop. It seems to be identical to the South Bend cross slide. It should fit very well.

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks for the reviews of the SB cross slide with the T slots. I have this on my list of things to do now. It is a long list so it may be a while before I report on progress. The pictures on the accessory web site look good but experience is a better indicator. Thanks again.

Thanks to all who responded. The site called "Metal lathe" with "statecollege" in the URL was indeed the one I had in mind. I really do appreciate all of your input, however!

the (well-fed) Frog

tongue.gif

England is a vast source. Hemmingway sells many kits for metal machining accessories. I have built their gear hobbing machine and floating reamer holder. The castings were excellent. The plans are somewhat difficult but in the end I ended up with two nice tools. Metric taps are available from Euro tool and cost about a third of what one would cost if bought here. I am a very "buy American" person but sometimes you don't have a choice. Home shop machining has been going on there much more and much longer

Back