What's new
What's new

pratt & whitney model B (13x30)- serial M1395N296

arrudajr

Plastic
I'm restoring a P&W model B.(link)
But my lathe have part of accessories that I don´t know what it is.( fixed to the head stock)
I live in Brazil and this is the only one P&W lathe that I have seen around here.
Does anyone have a scanned version of the model B manual?
Thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have only been as far south as Venezuela

The attachment on rear of head stock is part of the relieving attachment. It drove a u-jointed shaft that went to a especial reciprocating compound slide. Used in the old days for making milling cutters and threading taps and dies.

The Model B was made between about 1925 and 1934. Later, the 13 X 30 would be upgraded to the 12 X 30 with cam lock spindle nose and anti friction bearing spindle. This was to assist lathe output at Pratt & Whitney in the early years of WW2.

John

Thats a nice looking lathe BTW. My 1959 serial number book shows 345 to be the last 13" model B produced in 1927. There are only entries for 1927, 1935, & 1947 for the 13" Model B. So I'd guess it was built in the 1926-1927 timeframe.

What spindle configuations would you find on the 12" & 13" P&W model B's over their production life?

I know the Model C's were camlock spindles.

13 B was threaded

12 B was 5" D-1 camlock

12 was a "freshened" 13 for stop gap WW2 when enough Cs were not being delivered yet.

John

I have a 12x30 p&w it is great I didnt think it was that old I thought it was from the forties I dont have a manual for mine I would love a copy of it I would be willing to pay for any costs incurred or whatever you might want for it. I dont know how to email or pm so just contact me on the board and I will post my phone number thanks Kevin

I just went out and checked the number is m-1395-1392 I fixed it up about five years ago and use it almost daily I would would love to get a manual for it just to see how to adjust the c lutch or the brake on it.

Morsetaper2 - where were you able to get this info?? Could I get a copy of it from you???

Thats a nice looking lathe BTW. My 1959 serial number book shows 345 to be the last 13" model B produced in 1927. There are only entries for 1927, 1935, & 1947 for the 13" Model B. So I'd guess it was built in the 1926-1927 timeframe.

What spindle configuations would you find on the 12" & 13" P&W model B's over their production life?

Kpotter,

Here is what info I have (from 1959 & 1969 SN refr books):

* For 12" Model B (M-1395):
Last unit produced in 1942: 1521
Last unit produced in 1947: 2200

* For 13" Model B (M-1395):
Last unit produced in 1927: 345
Last unit produced in 1935: 935
Last unit produced in 1947: 1000

So assuming yours is a 12" it was made prior to 1942. The Model C listings are more extensive and detailed.

Mark

My model b has a war production tag on it so it is probably 1942 and it has no coating on the castings it made it real easy to restore I was told that they didnt spend alot of time on the cosmetics of the machine during the war, what is pretty amazing about it is I have the steady rest and the traveling steady as well as the collets and the face plate and the dog driver for it they never got separated after all those years.

First time here, discussing model B, N-1395 serial 532, now I have not touched a machine tool since 95 but want to get back in touch with the thrill of ribbons of metal coming off a hand ground cutter, the Model B I am looking at is $700 but is missing several handles, and I do not know if it has the spindle diameter to be useful in gunsmithing. or if by the time I get it servicable I would have been better off purchasing something in better shape, links below, not having any luck posting images.

machine lathe pratt whitney - Car Engines & Engine Parts - Mount Airy, Maryland | Facebook Marketplace

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0ad62394c467f3fe83e91b61d0a4e56e&oe=60840690

First time here, discussing model B, N-1395 serial 532

All 13s will have plain bronze spindle bearings and threaded spindle nose on spindle - if that is a problem for you.

In other words, this will never be a speedy lathe - however much you would like it to be

Really great brochure from those days - the spec page on the 13 will tell you size of hole in spindle

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com...ttwhitney-circular402-model-b-lathes-1936.pdf

have fun

Their wildly over kill spindle nose with its hardened and ground leading conical section is a detractor from getting back plates for spindle tooling made - you won't be finding any such chuck mounting plate for sale

Conical Nose P&W lathe.jpg

Back