What's new
What's new

R8 Spindle pin/key

Airborne

Stainless
I need to replace the spindle pin/key on my Jet vertical mill. The pin is 90% gone, disintegrated. How do I install a new pin (looks like a simple set screw according to the parts diagram)? There's a cap on the nose of the quill that I can't figure out how to remove.

if the quill is like a Bridgeport look at the back of the quill, drop it down a inch or so, and see if there is a setscrew back there.

if so remove the setscrew and look to make sure there's not 2 and take a vise~grip chain wrench and remove the spindle nut.

put the spindle in neutral and rotate until the drive key lines up with the freshly removed setscrew and remove the lock screw and the drive key. simple as pie...jim

There may be a small set screw on the back of the quill that needs to be loosened. Then the cap just unscrews. Mine came off easy. There are usually two holes to use a pin spanner to remove the nose piece.

Zumba, if it were me I would just take totaly out. Did that to my BP. Never have spun a collet in it. Sure saves alot of time switching collets. This is not an uncommon practice. I would bet that over half of the vertical knee mill users on this forum have removed them. I have been machining over 20 years and never have spun a collet.
Not sure of the Jets but there should be a set screw in the cap, just loosen it a turn or two and the cap should unscrew. The collet pin should be visiable, take it out and grind the rest of the tit off and put the setscrew back in and you should be ready to go.

Michael

Thanks guys. I got the set screw out and tried twisting off the cap, but it wouldn't budge. I have a small pin spanner that had to be stretched to accomodate the larger pin distance, but that didn't work too well. I also tried using a strap wrench but those are weak. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I guess I'm on the right track. I will try getting/making a larger pin spanner.

Michael, taking it out completely sounds like a good idea to me. These days, I rarely use cutters larger than 3/4" in diameter anyway, so they're probably unlikely to spin.

Try turning it the other way if I am not mistaken I think the bottom cap is left hand thread.

I have a Jet mill too. I don't remember if the cap is LH or RH. It does screw off.
Mark it's location before removing it, and re-install it to the same mark when done.
The pin IS a set screw. There is another set screw holding it in.
Remove it and loose it is my advice.
Spend your time running a tap into your collets for the drawbar if you think it might ever be a problem.

Klucas, you were right that the cap is an LH thread. It took some convincing with a strap wrench, but I got it off without any damage. The spindle pin was pretty chewed up. I used the outer set screw to clean up the debris that was still in there. Tool changing sure is easy now.

I'll leave the pin out for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks again to all who replied.

Back