What's new
What's new

Rockwell 10" Lathe

weiler

Plastic
I have a Rockwell 10 x 36 Lathe {model 25-700}I figure is about 40 years old.The power cross feed has never worked since I've had it,and the thread cutting and power bed feed has always been marginal.There are three holes in the apron where the feed selector plunger engages.The holes are over a quarter inch,while the the plunger is .187".I'm thinking the holes are worn out and I ought to drill them out and install some steel sleeves.Anyone have any experience with this?Also,any body know of any parts for this machine.have a good day. mark

Mark,
I have the same exact lathe, but in a 48" bedlength model (model #25-750, if I remember correctly). The problem with the power crossfead is most likely due to a worn out brass worm gear inside of the apron. You can easily disassemble the apron and check if this is the case, it is fairly foolproof and there are not a lot of small parts, etc. to lose or come out unexpectedly. I have disassembled mine 3 times since I bought the lathe and it is quite easy to do. The whole apron gear assembly comes off the lathe completely if you undo the end of the long leadscrew, at the tailstock end of the lathe, then slide the whole thing off the end of the lathe.

It would be a good idea for you to disassemble the apron section of the lathe anyway, so that it can be cleaned and inspected. It would only be a 2-3 hour project, including cleaning, and will reward you with information about your lathe and how it works - as well as figuring out if the brass wormgear is what is truly at fault.

One other thing, just as a thought. If you find that it is the brass wormgear that is the problem, we could go in together on possibly obtaining a discount for having 2 or 3 of them made at once. Mine is rather worn, although it still works, and I would like to have a spare or two around for when it finally does fail.

Best regards,
Bawko

Hi,thanks for the response.I've had the apron apart a few times,as you say the brass worm gear is worn.If you know of a shop where they'll make us some,I would be interested.I could also use a brass gear for my threading dial.Thanks again! Mark

Mark,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
No, I don't know where we can buy these gears, I would think that any good gear shop should be able to cut them for us - or maybe a fellow forumite who has gear cutting experience and wants to make a little spare cash?

In any case, I am interested in splitting the cost with you if we can find someone to do it - I am very interested in obtaining a spare pair of these gears for my lathe.

Also, I have heard that there is a drawing of this exact gear floating around somewhere, a forum person several years ago stated that he was able to obtain one from Rockwell. I lost the post information in a hard disk crash about a year ago, unfortunately. I don't know if that person is still around and viewing these forums, if so - PLEASE POST! I will pay for a copy of the blueprint - it will probably be necessary in order to have these gears produced.

Best regards,
Bawko

Hi again.Yeah, a drawing of that thing would be nice.Up here in our little N.Michigan community there's not many gear hobbers,none that I know of.I wish my dad was still around,he could've made them.At the shop I'm working at now there's a large horizontal mill,and a dividing head sitting in the corner.I've never used one,but I bet I could make gears on it.Maybe one of these evenings this winter I'll go and try a little "government project",I'll let you know if I have any success.I could rough in the brass or maybe even bronze on my lathe,then take them down there.It might be fun to try,anyway.Have good night! Mark

You might try Rush Gears at rushgears.com (i think) I just got one of their catalogs and they have or can make just about any gear.
Paul

Back