Rust Removal using Molasses - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another interesting use for molasses is in casting. If you want an air drying waterbased bonding agent for sand castings, give it a try. Mix it with brick sand, or any dry sand, pack it into a steel cylinder with a styrfoam pattern. It hardens the sand like concrete.
    I have cast bronze iron and aluminum into it with decent succes. It takes a while to harden though.

Coresil products that you can buy do the same thing, they just have specific formulas that dry faster. Co2 versions harden in minutes when exposed to pure Co2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make it a two-fer. If you dump molasses on your lawn, it actually drives the ants away. Doesn't kill them, but makes them leave. Supposed to work great on fire ants, I've read multiple posts on garden forums from people swearing it works.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool! I can derust my gastank... then dump it in the sand to send the ants away... and then pour molten metal into it... and then give the EPA the finger! This stuff is incredible... good thing it doesn't do anything else or we'd start getting spam regarding it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coke and rust removal

Quote Originally Posted by Metalworkist View Post
    With all due respect, I don't call what Coca Cola does to metal "rust removal", it just turns things black and makes the rust look different. With Molasses we're talking making a rusty engine block look like a brand new casting, like a brand new water pump or master cyl. you'd buy at the parts store. I'll see if I can find my pics.
    Coke may not be a serious rust remover but it contains phosphoric acid as a flavor ingredient. That is the same stuff in Naval Jelly and other rust removers and converters in liquid, gel and paint form, The phosphoric acid converts the porous iron oxide into a non porous barrier coat of iron phosphate, which is black. That is the theory,anyway. That black coat acts as a primer that be painted.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Resurrecting this old thread after searching.
    I have some old, and rare, Wade W8 collets that desperately need some surface rust removal. The outside is easy enough. But the inside of the collets, well, I physically can't get in there. I remember molasses being a possibility. Other than finding a sacrificial collet and testing, any input on the molasses method with collets?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, thanks!

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reverse electrolysis is a lot quicker.......molasses you are talking weeks or months.But it does work,and smells like dark rum......mmmmm dark rum.......blackfellers ruin.....whitefellers too.