Thread: Scherr - Tumico

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently picked up a Craftsman combination square for $1.50 and was told it was probably made by Tumico. Nice casting accurate and a nice feature the ends of the 12" steel rule are "stepped". I have never seen this before and it looks like a nice touch. Are they still in business?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Saw them at the show. Read the name and kept walking untill I saw a "made in USA" tag on a machine.

Tumico - made in USA?

They told me how they arrived at that name and it is NOT Jap.

----

Tell me all you know aboot these fellers...

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    S-T has never NOT been American. I've always preferred their goods to Starret, on a par with Lufkin, but behind Hamilton, B&S, P&W.

See George Scherr. Germanic surname. US citizen. Optical goods maker, New York. Merged with the Tubular Micrometer Company (Tumico), long time ago.

Company Profile | About Us

Confusion may be due to their having also imported goods from the likes of Mahr to fill-out their product line. Mahr made decent goods, so I'd not class that as a foul.

Bill

Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During the 1980's and 1990's, when I was teaching machine shop classes at the New Richmond campus of Wisconsin Indianhead Technical college, we usually took a field trip to Scherr-Tumico at St. James, Minnesota. These trips culminated in a visit to the room where they sold seconds and discontinued tools at a serious discount. I have several different rules in my toolbox and some inch and metric micrometers. However I do not have any of the tubular frame micrometers. Sears Craftsman micrometers were manufactured by Scherr-Tumico. The cutest tool that I purchased from them is a 0 to 1/2 inch micrometer. I had called them after my retirement to organize a private visit by myself and brother-in-law to their seconds room. I would recommend that you do the same if you want to visit.
    Last edited by Bruce Nelson; 09-05-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    . . .Confusion may be due to their having also imported goods from the likes of Mahr to fill-out their product line. Mahr made decent goods, so I'd not class that as a foul.

Bill
    Confusion may also be due to MSC having trashed the name, sourcing S-T micrometers under their "Accupro" brand and then substituting Chinese goods for their "Accupro Gold" brand. Thankfully, they didn't source an "Accupro Platinum with Diamond Coatings" model . . .

Accupro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used their inside mics for years. Good stuff, was made years ago. Anybody that has been in a big shop for longer than a week, has seen their tools.

JH

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a full set 0-12 of Sherr Tumico tubular OD mics graduated in .0001. They are very nice. I think they feel a bit more fragile than a cast frame mic, but a micrometer is a precision instrument, so it doesn't really need to be "tough".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to think they were a Japanese company too.

We have a newish ST comparator that we bought in the last 5-10 years. We need it to measure screen mesh and I think an optical comparator is still the best way to do this. It recently failed calibration and that has been a little bit of a problem to get fixed. As I understand it the calibration failure was over a large distance, which we don't use, but I guess it is part of the calibration. I also have one of their old ones and have only used it a few times. I'd like to mount a microscope to it somehow. I think an optical comparator with a microscope with a reticle would be very useful.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James H Clark View Post
    I have used their inside mics for years. Good stuff, was made years ago. Anybody that has been in a big shop for longer than a week, has seen their tools.

JH
    Inside, depth, vernier up to my 40-inch one... Wes mentioned a full set of Tumico clear down to 0-1". I don't think I've ever had one in my hands under 5-6". They REALLY prove their handiness at 12" and above, where they are lighter to handle, yet feel LESS fragile than conventional frames.

2CW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I copied this from PM member PeteM's book "An incomplete compendium of micrometers and their makers":
    Scherr-Tumico Company
    Scherr-Tumico Company (St. James, Minnesota) has a heritage going back decades. It started just (before?) after WWII as the Tubular Micrometer Company (Tumico) and was famous for its lightweight vacuum-sealed tubular micrometer frames. Especially in larger sizes, these were easier to use.
    Along the way it acquired the micrometer business of Reed Small Tool Works which itself dates back to 1902 as the Reed & Prince Company. Later, the Tubular Micrometer Company merged with a precision tools distributor, the George Scherr Company, to become Scherr-Tumico; probably around 1960.
    At some point it was part of the Rank organization (e.g. Rank Scherr-Tumico, Inc.). More recently it has gone by the name S-T Industries and also established the Accupro brand.
    The smaller micrometers (including several sets available here) may have solid frames along the lines of the Reed designs.
    The company has always made good quality micrometers, but was a perennial runner-up to Starrett and Brown & Sharpe in brand recognition (and also a good example of how the top two suppliers in a market often dominate; as in Pepsi and Coke versus Dr. Pepper etc.)
    Its niche for many years was selling precision tools to the US government.
    Scherr-Tumico also built micrometers for others to sell under their brand name. These included the Central Scientific Company (laboratory equipment) and Sears Roebuck. As with many US suppliers it most recently started selling Chinese-made tools; usually of a somewhat lower quality. The old US-made micrometers are, in my opinion, equivalent in quality to the Starrett #436 series, but not nearly so well-known.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    Later, the Tubular Micrometer Company merged with a precision tools distributor, the George Scherr Company, to become Scherr-Tumico; probably around 1960.
    Per other sources, 1941-42 or so, not 1960. Sixties were when Britain's Rank organization took them over. For a time. Rank-Xerox was one of their better-known efforts.

George Scherr, New York based, 1930's or earlier and onward, had BUILT precision tools, primarily for the Optical side of the industry. Toolmaker's microscopes, early-days optical comparators & such.

They were also distributors,

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

... but not-only. See also "Exacata" lathe chucks.

Scherr had at one time also made fine wooden Machinists chests in competition with Gerstner:

Vintage George Scherr Oak Wood Machinist Tool Box Chest 7 Drawers Not Gerstner | What's it worth

http://www.gerstnerforum.com/forumdi...ts-New-York-NY
    Last edited by Monarchist; 09-06-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

S-T Industries, Inc. - SCHERR-TUMICO Optical Comparators, Video Inspection Systems, & Precision Measuring Tools

Good find...now if we would even the playing field .. that is to stop subsidizing postage for China and India products we might have a chance.

When you see "Free Shipping" it means we are paying the costs with our tax dollars..Nothing is free we should know that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Jim R -- I'm not sure, but it might have been a different Scherr Co. that made the tool boxes?? The George Scherr Co, headquarted in NY, made the micrometers and pretty much a full line of measuring tools, optical flats, Ultra-Chex gage blocks, magnetic parallels, etc. The S-T solid frame mics were basically Scherr designs. The only Scherr catalog I have doesn't show any tool boxes, though of course they might have made or resold them earlier or later.
    Pete M, Except for the current frames (changed in last 5 years), both micrometer frame designs and the spindle design goes back to Reed Small Tool in Worcester Mass.
    Rich C.

wp_20170906_22_23_06_pro.jpgwp_20170906_22_23_29_pro.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was some involvement in Israel> http://collections.americanjewisharc...63.002.008.pdf

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump.

Seems they may have bitten the dust. Sad.

News | News & Events

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah. They were shopping for outside funding for the last couple of years but couldn’t get much attention. They were pretty far behind the technology curve when compared to other leaders in the precision instruments industry and were leveraged too heavily to do anything about it.

I do not know who bought their physical and intellectual properties, but I hope their products live on in more than name.