What's new
What's new

Sheffield Cavitron Help!

Machinery_E

Titanium
Here's links to some of the pictures of it:

Cavitron

Cavitron

Upon searching here I came across this thread that has a nice description of the Cavitron by JimK, which provided some very useful info to me.

Topic: Anyone using ultrasonic machining ?

Basically, I understand the principle behind ultrasonic machining. What I need to find out is how you would operate this particular machine, and what controls are used for what.

Some of the things I need to find out are:

1 On my machine, it appears it needs to be hooked up to a water supply, which then runs into a pressure switch, then appears to go into the spindle/transducer assembly. I assume that it has to have pressure to work, correct?

2Anyone know what has happened to Sheffield's machinery business,like, if anyone has taken over support of the Cavitrons?

3If anyone has a newer edition of The Serial Number Referenece Book For Metalworking machinery, and could see if my Cavitron, Model 256, Ser. No. 3279, is in there,and what the age of it would be, I would appreciate it very much! Mine only appears to go up to about 1957.

Here's a couple pictures of the controls.

100_0780.JPG

100_0781.JPG

100_0782.JPG

If anyone that has had any experience with these could offer their thoughts on this, or how you would go about, step by step, to run this machine, I would appreciate it very much!

Thank you very much for any and all help!

Eric

Its been quite a while since this plea for help was first put out :D -in all that time, I haven't found anyone that would help me out with my machine, they either wouldn't talk, or were dead. So in that time, I have learned alot from playing with my machine, its simply too cool of a machine. :cool:

The most FRUSTRATING part of this search for info was after a bit of research and phone calls, I tracked down who took over the Sheffield Cavitron line....

Bullen Ultrasonics Inc. of Eaton Ohio.

They REFUSED to SELL me any information on my machine!

I had checked EVERYWHERE for information on it, and had come up empty handed, Bullen was my last hope, and they crushed it. :(

So fast forward to last month, I got an e-mail from a person that saw this thread, long story made short, she had a Cavitron that wasn't working, she also got in touch with Bullen Ultrasonics, but got much further than me since she works at a large government installation. :rolleyes: They didn't do much good for her. Got in touch with me, and when we were talking, found out she had all the documentation for her machine. Wow, talk about a shock for me as I had given up ever finding anything for it!!!! Anyway, long story made short, she had TWO copies of the manuals, so I got the original manuals, and in exchange, I spent the day working on her machine, and its running again! I'm thrilled to have gotten the manuals, she's thrilled her machine is running again, and the people she's making stuff for are thrilled to have their parts done-what a happy ending....

So the moral of this tale? If you have a Sheffield Cavitron, and need help, get in touch with me! I have tons of original info, brochures, manuals, drawings, etc! I'm seriously into these machines and ultrasonic machining, and will be more than glad to help you out with yours!

Bullen Ultrasonics is on the "Black list" now- A MONEY HUNGRY COMPANY , that want these wonderful machines sent to the scrap heap before they will help you out with them!!!! Need ultrasonic machining work done? Then get in touch with me! Sending work to Bullen now? Then I REALLY want to talk to you!!!!

I'm here to make people happy...

Eric

It is indeed a handy little machine, check out my page on my website on ultrasonic machining-

http://members.localnet.com/~kovachic/ultrasonics.html

I need to update my website, as the info on it is old-I'm thinking in the near future of getting some more examples up instead of just simple "holes", as the machine is capable of much more than that-but there's the time and money constraints of getting examples of what it can do done... :D

Eric

SonicMill
Ultrasonic Machining
Gemstone drilling

Imahashi also made ultrasonic drills.Occasionaly I see these on the used market. They also made other lapidary equipment, saws, polishers, faceting machines. It was a Japanese company. Don't know if they are still around. PM me if you want a copy of their old literature. I think I still have it.

I once saw an exhibit by a company that made cameos by ultrasonic impact grinding. I believe the process was to make a die of powdered metal and sinter it. The hardened die was attached to the horn and the die would impart the shape( the bust of US Presidents) into hard brittle material(agate in this case).
SM

SM, Those are great links, thanks for posting them here! I'd be really interested in any info you have on the Imahashi, I'll send you a PM!

Eric

Attention Sheffield Cavitron users. I am currently liquidating a shop in NJ which has several Sheffield Cavitron Ultrasonic Machines and Power Supplies. Please go to...

Sheffield Cavitron Ultrasonic Machinery Power Supplies Tooling for Ceramics | eBay

Or contact Marc @ (732) 390-0006. There is a short window here. We will be removing all of the equipment right away, so please don't hesitate to call me. I am looking to sell the entire lot which includes 4 machines and 11 power supplies, plus tooling, but I will consider breaking up the equipment.

interested in talking to you.

Eric,
can you please send me a message im interested in talking to you. i sent you an email as well.

Back