What's new
What's new

Shipping a SIP

Mr Bridgeport

Stainless
Just won a like new SIP MP-3K jig borer loaded with tooling on Ebay about 15 minutes ago. Gotta ship from Texas to NJ. What is the best way to secure this instrument so it won't get damaged? I have a fellow service tech down there (worked with him for years at Bridgeport) that can do my handy work, but need some advice. JimK, are you out there? I'm over my head here, block spindle on table, lock column locks, or just run the column down till it touches and let it float. 1500 or miles on bumpy roads makes me worry. Also does anybody have a clue what year a SN 8702 SIP MP-3K machine was built in? Looks very new, cost less then my last BPT to boot. Been a while since I got excited about a machine tool purchase. Now the fun part, gotta move machines around to make room for it.
See ya, Bill

I've never paid much attention to SIP's but if like a Moore, yeah block spindle with soft wood on table..mostly to hold the table down. Moore's have their axis screws immersed in a bath of oil that should be drained before shipment, as it will spill out in transit and make a mess. SIP's may have this or oil somewhere else that should be drained.

Re 1,500 miles of bumpy roads...that shouldn't be much of a problem with modern air ride trailers, and most flat bed semi trailers are air ride these days. I've heard tales of machines that came unchained and were still sitting on the trailer just fine after 2,000 miles (but I assume either the machine had leveling screws dug into the wood floor of the trailer or that was 2,000 miles of not very steep hills !)

Re year, well, much to my great annoyance, the Serial Number Reference book makes no mention of SIP (or Societe) whatsover. Astounding considering how many SIP's are in the USA and all the other much more obscure makes that ~are~ in there :rolleyes:

(I tried to call you a few times last week...phone disconnected ??)

Thanks everyone. I was thinking that the crossrail and head should be down on the table to keep it from bouncing and damaging the X axis screw.
Don, my phone has been acting stupid lately, missing a lot of calls. If you still need my help, try again. Or Email me.
Bill

Back