shop press tooling ideas/pictures?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just did an rebuild of my old shop press today. I have played around with it a little, but does anyone have any pictures or ideas for H press tooling? Mainly looking for help bending up some brackets out of 1/8 and 3/16.

and found a digical camera at a garage sale today so will get some pics posted finally myself soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one uses a shop press for any shearing or bending? WHat about pressing. I'd really like some ideas on how to build my tooling but can't find anything on the interweb. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Junior,
    I made an "H" press out of 3x4 square tube and channel. It has a 20 ton hydraulic jack for power. I used a 1" nut welded to the underside of the ram so I could screw different things into it. I made a couple of "dies" by welding up angle iron on a plate (not hardened steel. I screw the "V" attached to the 1" bolt into the ram and put a matching "V" underneath. Since the "dies" are just hot rolled angle they wear out pretty quick depending on how you use them. But I have bent 1/2" plate to 90 deg with it. Harbor freight has some blocks with different size holes and notches for use on a press. I also use a couple of pieces of steel plate that sit on the stationary part of the press. If you put one piece on either side of what you are pressing it allows you to press shafts into bearings or whatever. You might also check some of the machine catalogs for press accessories.
    Jim Waggoner

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Northern Tool and Equip Co has some press tooling in their catalogue , some punch kits and pricy shear attachnent. I bought their 29 inch press brake and it works good in a 50 ton press, they also have a 24 inch model made for a 20 ton press. Pretty simple design that would be easy to mill out yourself if you have the spare time, I don't think they are hardened but I have bent some pretty hefty SS with it and seems to hold up to occasional use. I have never looked at their web site but it is (NorthernTool.com)Also if you search in Google welding talk forum you can find Earnie's pictures of tooling he built along with the press, quite an empressive array of tooling for bending all sorts of shapes. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made a bar and with a 2.5 x 4 in plate at an angle at the bottom I have used it on my home made press to break beads on tire and wheels. Works for the stubborn ones. Ed ke6bnl