What's new
What's new

Shrink Fit Tool Machines and Holders Questions

James D

Plastic
I've got a few quick questions about the Shrink Fit tool holders and machines that you guys might be able to help me with.

What is the best machine (brand) for the money, same thing goes for holders?

Do you really think the extra cost is worth it?

What is the average price of holders?

Where's the cheapest/best place to get a machine?

What is the average cost of a machine?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks

James DeGroat

James, if you talk to a rep that sells them I bet they will shrink a couple together and you can try them, once they are assembled you use them like any other tool.

I would run them side by side with what you use now and see what you think.

The benefits seem to lend themselves to high rpm operation..and they can give you less tool overhang in some cases because they can be slimmer than say a typical setscrew endmill holder, and they can hold a tool with less runout.

Bill

James,
There are still more questions to ask.
1. What spindle taper on your machines? If you're using CAT 40 or 50, shrink fit probably aren't worth it for you. HSK, KM, or CAPTO.

2. What size cutters will you be running and at what RPM? There's a big difference in size capabilities of machines and big difference in balance and class of holders.

Most of the bennifit from shrink fit is better finish and long cutter life at high RPM. To get the bennifit, you must have a spindel system capable of low runnout like the HSK and it's derivitives. Most of the studies that I've seen don't show much of a bennifit until you routinely get above the 8K RPM range.
JR

The machine we would be use the Shrink Fit system would be on a brand new (still being built) Mazak Nexus 510C mill which has a 12k spindel. Main material we plan to cut right now is 4340, 17-4PH, 303, and of course 6061.

We currently don't have any holders for this machine, so that's why I was wondering if we should invest into Shrink Fit right from the start.

Thanks

James DeGroat

There are several questions that need to be answered. How many tools will you be changing per shift or day or week? Also what type of tolerances will you have to hold. How far are you going to reach, etc. This all has to be considered & figured into the cost per job to see if you need it. Anything over 8,000 RPM is considered high speed machining so the holders you buy either need to balanced by design or balanceable otherwise your bearing life diminishes @ 12,000 RPM. HSK is made for high speed but is not as rigid as steep taper & vice versa. I know alot of people have high speed capabilities & don't use as often as they should. I've seen MDF @ 30,000 RPM with 2000 IPM feed. That's high speed all day long. Good luck.

I've got a few quick questions about the Shrink Fit tool holders and machines that you guys might be able to help me with.

What is the best machine (brand) for the money, same thing goes for holders? Haimer is probably the top, balanceable, coolant thru or blast, lifetime warranty

Do you really think the extra cost is worth it? Worth every penny

What is the average price of holders? $150-$350

Where's the cheapest/best place to get a machine? Techniks

What is the average cost of a machine? 5k-25k

Any other info would be great. You have to be crazy not to get it.

Thanks

James DeGroat
See answers above

Shrinkers shine at any rpm, not just high rpm. There is no comparison needed, shops in the know are 70% shrink fit, world wide

Shrinkers are great for any taper and all speeds and matreials. There is nothing like them. We are talking all around usage, they are the easiest to setup, the fastest to change tool with. They have been around for 40 years and 70% of holders are shrink fit in companies in the know. I have been using them since the 90's and you just can't beat them for all around performance and ease of use. Operators love them and so do presetters.

Back