What's new
What's new

Slotting head for shaper

Peter S

Diamond
While visiting a workshop recently, I saw this Elliot shaper, and alongside it a slotting head attachment. The shaping ram is removed and the slotting head takes its place. If you look closely, you can see that the slotter is massive, it goes back a long way. Looks to be a very sturdy useful looking slotter.

The first photo shows the shaper with slotting head alongside, and also the massive connecting rod required to work the slotter.

The second photo shows the table that goes with the slotter, it bolts to the shaper table and gives another axis of travel.

The other bits in the second photo are not involved, though the machine they are under is a old shaper with a moving head. That is, the ram strokes as normal and also moves at right angles to the stroke. The workpiece remains stationary. I think it was made by Buckton?? Should have written down the name...

Elliotshaperslotter.jpg

Elliotshaperslottertable.jpg

I have an Elliot 14m with the vertical slotter.

I wonder how many of them there are out there - not to many i would think.

slotting20attachment.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I was looking to see if anyone else had a slotting attachment for the Elliott shaper,and came across this.I have one with mine but I have never used it. This one came from Pirelli in Burton UK. Judging by the company asset nos on the machine and attachment,the attachment was bought at a later date so they must have had job for it.
Although I haven't used the head I have used the special "y axis" table as a slide for a makeshift turning arangement on another machine, it is unusual in that the movement is backwards to normal so you have to think very carefully before turning the handle.
It would be interesting to here from someone who has used one.
There was one for sale recently in the Uk so perhaps these aren't as rare as I (and others) thought.

sable, welcome to the forum.

Shaper owners stick together here, check out some of the shaper threads.
Hours of reading ahead for you.

Post up some pics of your machine and attachments for all to see, we love pictures here.

Michael

Hi there recently brought a elliot 14m shaper same in the photos provided does anybody have one of these slotting heads mine came with it but was missing the connecting arm soo would like some photos and dimensions would be a massive help thanks

I have an Elliot 18M. It is a super machine. I am missing the automated down feed, which I would love to find. Mine came from the British Army when they left Monchengladbach, Germany. I am in the process of modifying mine by adding a milling table with a support leg. The purpose is to be able to cut splines. The table is necessary to mount a dividing head and tail stock. Finding a suitable table was very difficult, they just get scrapped. I found one in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but it took a while.

Think mine is a 14M (it's a long way down the restoration queue) but it has power downfeed. If you need any measurements or pictures that can help you recreate the parts, let me know.

Hi there did you get sorted out with the dimensions of the arm I have one to measure if you haven't

Hi there never got the dimensions only just see this technology not a strong point if you could prehaps send some pictures and dimensions or just dimensions that would be brilliant half way through restoring it thanks

A few years back someone on PM asked me for Elliot 14S slotter connecting rod dimensions, here are the sketches I made and some photos.

If anyone wants higher resolution copies, please email me (click on my name) and let me know your email address.

This shaper resides in a nicely equipped private workshop here in Auckland, the owner kindly assembled it for these photos.

Elliot slotter drawing 01.jpg Elliot slotter drawing 02.jpg Elliot slotter drawing 03.jpg Elliot slotter 05.jpg Elliot slotter 06.jpg

Back