Slotting head for shaper
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While visiting a workshop recently, I saw this Elliot shaper, and alongside it a slotting head attachment. The shaping ram is removed and the slotting head takes its place. If you look closely, you can see that the slotter is massive, it goes back a long way. Looks to be a very sturdy useful looking slotter.

The first photo shows the shaper with slotting head alongside, and also the massive connecting rod required to work the slotter.

The second photo shows the table that goes with the slotter, it bolts to the shaper table and gives another axis of travel.

The other bits in the second photo are not involved, though the machine they are under is a old shaper with a moving head. That is, the ram strokes as normal and also moves at right angles to the stroke. The workpiece remains stationary. I think it was made by Buckton?? Should have written down the name...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Elliot 14m with the vertical slotter.

I wonder how many of them there are out there - not to many i would think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rhodes made a similar attachment for their smaller shapers:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...890;p=1#000017

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw the slotter head in the manual for my Elliot 18m. Neat to see a real one, I had imagined that it would be a very rare find.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M. Moore View Post
    I saw the slotter head in the manual for my Elliot 18m. Neat to see a real one, I had imagined that it would be a very rare find.

Michael
    I thought the slotter head was only made for the 14M... But the manual does 14M, 18M and 24M

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is an old thread but I was looking to see if anyone else had a slotting attachment for the Elliott shaper,and came across this.I have one with mine but I have never used it. This one came from Pirelli in Burton UK. Judging by the company asset nos on the machine and attachment,the attachment was bought at a later date so they must have had job for it.
    Although I haven't used the head I have used the special "y axis" table as a slide for a makeshift turning arangement on another machine, it is unusual in that the movement is backwards to normal so you have to think very carefully before turning the handle.
    It would be interesting to here from someone who has used one.
    There was one for sale recently in the Uk so perhaps these aren't as rare as I (and others) thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sable, welcome to the forum.

Shaper owners stick together here, check out some of the shaper threads.
    Hours of reading ahead for you.

Post up some pics of your machine and attachments for all to see, we love pictures here.

Michael

8. Likes sable liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know of another Elliott slotting attachment , in Scotland .

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there recently brought a elliot 14m shaper same in the photos provided does anybody have one of these slotting heads mine came with it but was missing the connecting arm soo would like some photos and dimensions would be a massive help thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an Elliot 18M. It is a super machine. I am missing the automated down feed, which I would love to find. Mine came from the British Army when they left Monchengladbach, Germany. I am in the process of modifying mine by adding a milling table with a support leg. The purpose is to be able to cut splines. The table is necessary to mount a dividing head and tail stock. Finding a suitable table was very difficult, they just get scrapped. I found one in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but it took a while.