What's new
What's new

sony LH30-2 dro (craigslist)

golash

Aluminum
H
I`m just starting out and found this DRO on craigslist. He wants $400 for a used but
working DRO. It has the scales. Is this a good move on my part. I tried checking out
Sony`s site to find more info. As usual that was a waste of time.

H
I`m just starting out and found this DRO on craigslist. He wants $400 for a used but
working DRO. It has the scales. Is this a good move on my part. I tried checking out
Sony`s site to find more info. As usual that was a waste of time.

That may (or may not) be a good price. If I were you I would go quickly to look at it, but first ask to see the instruction manual. If he does not have the manual, it will be up to him to prove all of the functions work OK.
Make sure that the head/scales are set up for a mill (if that is your intended application) and not for a lathe.
Then I would go through every function by the book as well as run the diagnostic test using the keyboard. If that all checks out then hand him the $400 and run off with it.
I say this because I have a DRO on my mill, and while it operates fine for what I do with it, the DRO has internal problems that will not allow some of the functions to work. It fails the diagnostic test with the result telling me it has problems with the PC board. I do not think parts for this old DRO are available anymore. I currently have a new DRO and scales in transit. I guess I will sell the old one with full disclosure regarding the things that do not work.
So, you have to be careful when buying anything electronic and used..........pg

Yeah, DRO's go through a lot of abuse if not taken care of correctly. Oil, coolant, swarf, vibration, dings. Also the controller goes though a lot. Worn buttons, proper pryor installation and use.

They are so delicate and easy to break when installing and uninstalling if not done right. I am sure there was not the care uninstalling it as it was when it was installed when it was new. And there isnt a real good way to test it but on the machine under real life conditions.

I dont know... there are a lot of things I buy used, DROs arent one of them unless I have a good month or two guarantee on paper.

Back