Stanley Electric Plane Parts
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an older (circa 1963) Stanley electric plane J50-B (you know the kind used to joint a door) in need of a cutter. It is Stanley #4196-S. Any one know a source or leads? Possible interchange with Rockwell uints? Ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry, can't really help. I'm in the same boat. I bought a Stanley plane at a yard sale about a decade ago. Fortunately, it came with some extra cutters that are sharp. They're carbide-tipped. I haven't looked into it, but it seems like either there is a cutter for a brand that is still made that will fit, or can be easily adapted. The steel body of a carbide-tipped cutter should be readily machineable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a Stanley J4-A in working shape with a high speed steel spiral cutter. If it helps, I'd sell the whole thing for $50, which is about half the price of a cutter for a Rockwell. This planes pretty well as is, but you'll want to resharpen the cutter sooner than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump....do either you folks have the cutter part number for your planes? Its a 5 digit job like 85525,85403, or ?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I checked my plane. It's also a J4A, says Model H. The paperwork says the cutter is part no. 4176-S. I assume this is NOT the carbide cutter, which I have 3 of, one dull and two sharp. The paperwork has a 1951 date on it. Wow, I didn't think the machine was that old. The machine is a real tank. They sure don't build them like that anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently bought a Stanley belt sander at auction. It runs fine, but I'd like to have a spare drive belt on hand. When I contacted Stanley they replied with what follows my sig.

Orrin

"Our power tool product line was bought by Bosch Power Tools approximately 30 years ago and thus, Stanley no longer handles inquires regarding these older products, parts or accessories. Please direct your questions to Bosch Power Tools at 1-877-267-2499."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks folks,
    rklopp, that's why I am trying to get cutters for this thing. It is built! No plastics, all polished aluminum die cast...a real piece of work. Of course, after pushing that thing around for a while you'll know it! I ran accross a batch of 5 carbide cutters that look like they will fit. I'll know when I get them. The number didn't match but I am sure these have changed from when ours was made and when they last offered parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Stanley spiral cutters

I have some of the cutters,2' Bit 85-401 & 2 3/8' Bit 85-402 Have about 6 of each.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluchip View Post
    I have an older (circa 1963) Stanley electric plane J50-B (you know the kind used to joint a door) in need of a cutter. It is Stanley #4196-S. Any one know a source or leads? Possible interchange with Rockwell uints? Ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a few carbide spiral cutters number
    4180-s or 85521
    also 85403
    all are new and would be willing to sell them

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default carbide cutters

Quote Originally Posted by muske View Post
    I have a few carbide spiral cutters number
    4180-s or 85521
    also 85403
    all are new and would be willing to sell them
    I have a Stanley J40-B electric planer and router. I am looking for a replacement carbide blade. The blade currently has a model number 85402 on it and am curious if the 85403 blade you have would fit it? Could you take any measurements of the cutters you have for sale to see if these would fit. The J40-B looks very similar to the J4A model H.

Thanks in advance