What's new
What's new

Stanley Electric Plane Parts

bluchip

Stainless
I have an older (circa 1963) Stanley electric plane J50-B (you know the kind used to joint a door) in need of a cutter. It is Stanley #4196-S. Any one know a source or leads? Possible interchange with Rockwell uints? Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry, can't really help. I'm in the same boat. I bought a Stanley plane at a yard sale about a decade ago. Fortunately, it came with some extra cutters that are sharp. They're carbide-tipped. I haven't looked into it, but it seems like either there is a cutter for a brand that is still made that will fit, or can be easily adapted. The steel body of a carbide-tipped cutter should be readily machineable.

I've got a Stanley J4-A in working shape with a high speed steel spiral cutter. If it helps, I'd sell the whole thing for $50, which is about half the price of a cutter for a Rockwell. This planes pretty well as is, but you'll want to resharpen the cutter sooner than later.

Bump....do either you folks have the cutter part number for your planes? Its a 5 digit job like 85525,85403, or ?
Thanks.

I checked my plane. It's also a J4A, says Model H. The paperwork says the cutter is part no. 4176-S. I assume this is NOT the carbide cutter, which I have 3 of, one dull and two sharp. The paperwork has a 1951 date on it. Wow, I didn't think the machine was that old. The machine is a real tank. They sure don't build them like that anymore!

I recently bought a Stanley belt sander at auction. It runs fine, but I'd like to have a spare drive belt on hand. When I contacted Stanley they replied with what follows my sig.

Orrin

"Our power tool product line was bought by Bosch Power Tools approximately 30 years ago and thus, Stanley no longer handles inquires regarding these older products, parts or accessories. Please direct your questions to Bosch Power Tools at 1-877-267-2499."

Thanks folks,
rklopp, that's why I am trying to get cutters for this thing. It is built! No plastics, all polished aluminum die cast...a real piece of work. Of course, after pushing that thing around for a while you'll know it! I ran accross a batch of 5 carbide cutters that look like they will fit. I'll know when I get them. The number didn't match but I am sure these have changed from when ours was made and when they last offered parts.

Stanley spiral cutters

I have some of the cutters,2' Bit 85-401 & 2 3/8' Bit 85-402 Have about 6 of each.
I have an older (circa 1963) Stanley electric plane J50-B (you know the kind used to joint a door) in need of a cutter. It is Stanley #4196-S. Any one know a source or leads? Possible interchange with Rockwell uints? Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I have a few carbide spiral cutters number
4180-s or 85521
also 85403
all are new and would be willing to sell them

carbide cutters

I have a few carbide spiral cutters number
4180-s or 85521
also 85403
all are new and would be willing to sell them

I have a Stanley J40-B electric planer and router. I am looking for a replacement carbide blade. The blade currently has a model number 85402 on it and am curious if the 85403 blade you have would fit it? Could you take any measurements of the cutters you have for sale to see if these would fit. The J40-B looks very similar to the J4A model H.

Thanks in advance

I know this is a long shot, but I was hoping there was still someone here that had some of these cutters left. I've got a really nice j5 kit that I intend to use for some trim work in my soon to be finished basement. The one cutter I have isn't in great shape and I hate to go out and buy some plastic fantastic unit to replace it.

If anyone has specs or info on the grinding wheels for sharpening these cutters I would really appreciate that info as well!

I know this is a long shot, but I was hoping there was still someone here that had some of these cutters left. I've got a really nice j5 kit that I intend to use for some trim work in my soon to be finished basement. The one cutter I have isn't in great shape and I hate to go out and buy some plastic fantastic unit to replace it.

If anyone has specs or info on the grinding wheels for sharpening these cutters I would really appreciate that info as well!

Your post is almost 2 years ago but I am hoping you had luck finding the cutters. I myself and thinking of buying a J4A H planer. Did you ever find a replacement? I was wondering if a 2 or 2-1/2" flute shaper cutter could be modified to work. Would not enjoy the spiral cutters but may be easier to sharpen. I also noted that a few of the planer kits on ebay had a tool included that could sharpen the cutters. Has anyone explored that avenue?
Netter

Back